How would you rate Specialized clothing ??

Devastazione
Devastazione Posts: 280
edited January 2011 in MTB general
In a year span I've got myself quite a few things from Specialized clothing but bottom line I'm pretty far from being impressed.
Great feeling,comfort and style but they don't seem to last much. BG gloves lose stitches and split opens,shoes are 3 months old and already showing bad sign of wear. Shorts are holding up so far(I have two) but one of them has lost both straps needed hold on the padded underwear part.
Any positive experience ??
Specialized Tarmac Sworks
Canyon Spectral 8.9

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Shoes - Tahoe = great. Just sold pair that still looked newish, they were very comfy and all that was required was a hose down and dry to keep them that way.

Gloves - Ridge = great too. Only gloves that fit correctly on all fingers. Rinse under a tap to keep them good and alls good. They've worn well, survived a few spills and only damage to them is the backing which is clicked to hell from catching bushes.

Not really tried any of their other stuff as stockist are limited around here and clothing I like to try before buying. If the shops here stocked more thenI would have more of their clothing.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Gloves and shoes are good, I've got S-Works road and MTB shoes that are 4 years old and still look great, and gloves twice that. However, their actual clothing is rubbish IMO, I've got a winter jacket with windproof panels in completely the wrong places, not enough panels and a zip that creeps undone, and a pair of tights designed for people with the fattest calves known to man, and with no stirrups they end up as 3/4s after 10 minutes. £95 tights worn once, great!
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    I've got 2 pairs of shoes about 3/4 years old, cheap (comp sport?) still in great condition. Pro mtb only the soles worn after about 2/3 years commuting.

....however, I bought a pair of mtb expert shoes about 6 months ago and the inside of the heel has almost completely worn away.
    My riding/commuting hasn't changed so I presume the materials have changed, bit disappointed really after my other ones lasting so well.
  • Shorts - OK for beginners, once you upgrade to a quality bib you'll never go back.
    Jerseys - very decent, they also used to do a fantastic packable windproof.
    Shoes - better built than shimano, not as well built as Northwave.
    Gloves - awful.
    Helmets - Good fit and styling but rubbish retention system.

To be fair, in this game, all gloves lose their stitching, palms wear out, shoes fall apart. Even my beloved Sombrio forensics and Northwave Lizzards eventually get chucked. I've tried a hell of a lot of stuff in my line of work (not as much as the reviewers though) and I've figured out which brands combine the best durability and fit (for me anyway, everyone's different) for each garment. As mentioned above, Sombrio and Bontrager gloves and Northwave shoes are the toughest and - conveniently for me - comfiest products I've had the pleasure of riding in. Bell fits me for helmets, even though I prefer Giro's styling. I use Endura for lycra and waterproofs, Gore for windproofs and a load of other brands for jerseys and baselayers.
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Spesh BG Ridge gloves are the only gloves I wear when it is not raining (Sealskinz if it is wet)

Spesh BG MTB Sport shoes are the only shoes I wear, all year round

Had 2 sets of Ridge gloves in 4 years, only got new ones as the finger ends wore out where they contacted the shift & brake levers, 2 years for a £20 pair of gloves is good value to me.

Shoes are 2 years old, never cleaned and still do the job they are designed to do in perfect comfort

I cannot fault them at all & highly recommend them to anyone in need of gloves or shoes.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I've had good results with all of their clothing. The bike shop I go to stocks most Spesh clothing, and i've bought all my clothing from them as I get discounts from a mate there.

I have the comp shoes (I think these are the ones) which have held up extremely well through a few trips to the alps and quite a few spills.

Same goes for the gloves, helmet and actual clothing as well. Been using a set of their bibs for a while now, with no problems at all.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I have to say all my spesh is stuff is great

shoes (BG - the cheap velcro ones) used for MTBing for about 2 1/2 years and have used them almost everyday for the commute for the last 18 months in all weathers, only in the last month or so has the stitching just come out on the panel that rubs against the crank, there's still usable but look a bit tatty -got a new pair of the next model up with the ratchet system which are even more comfy - going to start uisng them when the weather clears up.

Shorts - Not sure which model (great value at £40 for baggy shorts inc. liners) Again been using every week for the commute for the last 18months (in rotation with 3 other pairs of shorts) as well as for MTB, The arse on the outers is looking a bit thin but all the stitching is intact. Also the liners are great and don't ride up your thighs like some.

Helmet - Propero (? -the £70rrp one anyway) great lid, comfy and light and fits perfectly, although before I had 25 lid and looking back it was pretty uncomfortable.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Shoes - I've had my Comp MTB shoes for nearly 3 years and done over 3000miles in all weather and all terrain. Had to change the cleats and they are now showing signs of wear & tear, but they are still amazingly comfy and I would certainly buy another pair.

Helmet - I have 2. The cheaper one (can't remember the name) is pretty good. It was the first helmet I bought (3 years old) and really needs replacing now.
    My other helmet is a Polperro. Fantastic helmet. Very comfy and a perfect fit for me. I would buy another tomorrow.

Gloves - only used fingerless road gloves. Been impressed with them, but I normally wear full finger when mtb'ing.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I have some Specialized BG mtb shoes, but as I've only had them a few weeks I'll refrain from passing any serious comments on them. I also have a set of Defroster gloves, which are quite warm down to minus 10 as long as it's dry. The seams don't seem to last long though.

The only other lasting impression I have of their clothing is the lycra is a bit on the thin side. If you have a pair of shorts, for the love of god and my eyesight put a pair of baggys over the top.