Second Wheel and Cassette for Trainer Use

Skerryman
Skerryman Posts: 323
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all. Having recently got a new turbo and turbo tyre I have come to the conclusion that changing from my regular tyres to my road tyres every time I want to do a turbo session is a pain in the tits. I am hoping to get a spare rear wheel and cassette in the next week or so to spare me this grief. The best/ most affordable option I have thus far come up with is Shimano R500 rear wheel for £63.51 on CRC and an Ultegra 10 Speed cassette for £51.22 from Wiggle. Was just wondering if anyone out there can suggest a cheaper wheel/ cassette combo that will do the trick. I have tried CRC, Wiggle, Evans and Merlin and thats the best I could come up with. I'm currently running a 10 speed 12-25 Ultegra cassette on Easton EA70's so I'm guessing I'll need to match the cassette up with another 10 speed 12-25 option. The only other option that fits the bill is a 105 cassette which only saves a couple quid over the Ultegra.

Also will changing out the tyres regularly be bad for my Easton's. The trainer tyre is particularly difficult to wrestle on.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Check ebay for a wheel.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Is 105 the cheapest 10sp option?
  • Skerryman
    certainly by a new wheel cassette and bespoke trainer tyre
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,510
    if you'll use the turbo often then a ready to go wheel with a trainer tyre is handy

wiggle is expensive though

for instance, 105 5700 series 11-25 cassette, under 35 quid including shipping...

http://tinyurl.com/4etlag2

shop around, you should be able to get a rear wheel for under 40 quid, less on ebay
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Skerryman
    Checked Ebay and didn't come up with much in the way of a wheel. Looks like it might be a cheaper option for the cassette though.

@ Weapons - 105 was the cheapest suitable option I found on the usual CRC, Wiggle and Evans kinda sites.

@Mad Roadie - I already got the Vittoria trainer tyre, good tyre but can be a bit of a struggle to get on.

Cheers for the Ebay link Sungod must have another snoop around Ebay and see what comes up. Would use the trainer more often if I had a ready to go wheel at the ready. Pain swapping tyres on and off the whole time.

If anyone has any other ideas on where to get a cheaper wheel that would be great.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    If it's just for turbo use take a look in Decathlon if you're anywhere near one.

I got a spare rear wheel to avoid changing tyres all the time for £30. It's pretty sturdy, made in France and has even survived a ride out on my cross bike so can't be that bad.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Skerryman
    Mike67 wrote:
    If it's just for turbo use take a look in Decathlon if you're anywhere near one.

I got a spare rear wheel to avoid changing tyres all the time for £30. It's pretty sturdy, made in France and has even survived a ride out on my cross bike so can't be that bad.

Based in Ireland so not much in my area in the way of decent bike shops and dread to think what and local shops would charge me.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    Cheap rear wheels which will take a Shimano 10 speed block seemed to be pretty rare when I was looking. The cheapest hubs alone weren't that cheap, so understandable.

I would second the use of 105 cassette rather than Ultegra.

Another choice can be to get the cassette with different ratios to the current one - e.g. you have a 12 - 25, so maybe get a 12-27 or 11-28 (or whatever) so if you need that for a special trip you can switch cassettes on the "good" wheel.

I have an R500 I use as the turbo wheel, but unfortunately I am supposed to be selling the bike it goes on, so am looking for a replacement...

Try the sales forum on here, as the number of questions posted about "what wheels should I buy" would indicate that a fair number of lower end Shimano compatible wheels are being replaced...

Neil
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    As I be bored, I found this on the Classifieds section of this very forum:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12750721

£55 plus postage, and you get a "free" spare front wheel...

Neil
  • Skerryman
    DubaiNeil wrote:
    As I be bored, I found this on the Classifieds section of this very forum:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12750721

£55 plus postage, and you get a "free" spare front wheel...

Neil

Thanks for finding that for me, must check out what postage to Ireland would be. Anyone know whether the wheels in the ad would be better or worse than the Shimano R500 rear wheel mentioned above. Details below

Shimano R500
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31957

Wheels from Specialized Secteur in advert:
    RIMS Alex S500, aluminum, sleeve joint, CNC machined sidewalls

FRONT HUB Specialized forged alloy, sealed, QR, 32h

REAR HUB Specialized forged alloy, double-sealed, cassette, QR, 32h

SPOKES Stainless 14g
  • sungod
    rear wheel for around 30 quid...

http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product_in ... =googlepbs

...must be worth calling to check the hub is shimano 9/10 speed compatible - 9 speed hub will take a 10 speed shimano cassette, just needs a 1mm spacer fitted (spacer should be supplied with the cassette, but if not, they're cheap)

it's not going to be exposed to weather, potholes, etc., probably not so many hours use a week, braking surfaces will never be used, and it doesn't need to be light or aero or pretty, so just get the cheapest you can find!
  • Skerryman
    Thanks for the suggestion Sungod. Was thinking of paying the extra few bucks for a wheel I might be able to use as a go between incase anything happened to my good wheels (without breaking the bank). Think its between the Shimano R500 wheel for £54.44 or a 2008 Mavic Aksium for £45.38 on CRC. Was just wondering which would be more suited to a 10 speed Shimano cassette or is there any difference. Was reading here somewhere that Mavic hubs need an extra spacer to accommodate a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Anyone know if this would mean having to make any adjustments when changing between the wheels or will the rear mech still be aligned the same once their set up with the necessary spacers. Links for both wheels are below.

Shimano R500
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31957

Mavic Aksium
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=38222

Advice appreciated !!!

Edit: Just realised that CRC only have the Aksium front wheels left, oops
  • sungod
    shimano/sram compatible hubs will take 9 and 10 speed cassettes

shimano 10 speed cassettes are 1mm shallower, so they are supplied with a 1mm spacer to fit the standard hubs

sram 9/10 speed cassettes are the same depth, no spacer needed

if you have the same ratio cassette on both wheels you should be able to swap them around without adjusting the rear mech