P7 frame holes - can I seal them off?

jonnyc2420
jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

Ive had My P7 frame for 3 months now, and loving it, however there are a number of small holes in the frame on the seat and chainstay that seem to attract an awful lot of wet stuff, this usualy leads to a ton of rusty water leaking out on the floor when I tip the bike up and wheel it through the house causing grief from the wife.

Grief from the wife i'm used to but cant help wondering what the inside of the frame is starting to look like, so my thoughts are:

Block the holes up with stickers
waxoyl the inside of the frame
leave them 'cause they must be there for a reason

would really welcome your thoughts on this as its my first steel frame and now the voices in my head are telling me its rusting away on the inside into nothing....... :cry:
Falcon Sierra - 80's
Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
GT Palomar 90's
GT Zaskar LE - 90's
Cannondale k v 900 90's
Santa Cruz Bullit - now
Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
Orange P7 Pro
Lots of kites.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are there to let the water drain out.
    Waxoyl would work, maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dont waxoyl the frame.

if you want to use anything some WD40 is fine or some JP Weigle's frame saver‎.

or just put it on its back wheel before putting it in the house.

sealing them is not a good idea as then the water that WILL get in there can not get out easily.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks guys - will look into the frame saver stuff this pm.
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • Don't worry about the inside of the bike rusting away - just have a look around and see how many old steel frame bikes there are around still :D
  • cooldad wrote:
    They are there to let the water drain out.
    Waxoyl would work, maybe.

waxoyl + MTB frame = epic fail.

Whytepeak had a bit of fun with that idea :lol:
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    At the end of a ride or wash before you store the bike just hold the bike vertical on its back wheel and let the water drip out. And maybe a quick squirt of WD40 every now and then. This really helped to cut down the amount of brown water dripping out of the bike.

I think I read on On-One's web site that rust from the inside of the frame isn't a issue. Its taking extremely small amounts of material off the frame and won't weaken it for many many years.