Sort of hypothetical frame vs. fork stiffness question

warpcow
warpcow Posts: 1,448
edited January 2011 in MTB general
Ok, so assume I have a frame with a 1.5 headtube and I can only choose 1 of 2 possible forks. Say that both are RS Revelations. The first has a 1 1/8 steerer and 20mm Maxle, the second has a 1.5 steerer and only a 15mm Maxle. Both are the same price and, for the purposes of this question, the only forks available to me.

My thinking is that because of the larger diameter frame tubes and bigger weld area around the headtube, then the the greater increase in stiffness (whether I could really feel it or not) would come from choosing the fork with the 20mm axle but narrower steerer. Does that sound right :?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is what i would do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    On a bike with that kind of travel, i don't think a larger head tube would make much difference, and the difference between 15mm and 20mm maxle is near enough negligible anyway, so you might as well choose either.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured. I just assumed that the twisting of the fork legs would be more noticable than anything to do with headtubes and steerers.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Generally, yeah. The 1.5 headtube is really only going to make a difference on a freeride/downhill bike with single crowns rather than dual crowns, hitting big drops at speed etc. Even then, the difference between 15mm maxle and 20mm maxle is pretty small, they're both fairly stiff. I'd generally go for 20mm though, just because it's easier to get hold of adaptors for hubs etc.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5