Chrissz Posts: 727
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Which would be better for kitting out my bike and why? :D

Comments

• Gore not an option?
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Gore not an option?

I can only find Gore brake cable sets - I want both brake and gear.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Chrissz wrote:
    Gore not an option?

I can only find Gore brake cable sets - I want both brake and gear.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Sear ... re+ride-on
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jagwire are great and cheap too!!
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Standard cable housing is ingeniously designed for its specific task. Brake cable housing can handle high compressive loads, and gear housing is constant length for accurate shifting. Both are available cheaply, by the foot or metre.

Nokon is ridiculously over-engineered as if designed by somebody who never understood what was required, so threw the lot at it and "damn the cost". Jagwire are just more expensive normal housing in decorative finishes. So I'd vote for "the stuff your LBS sells by the foot".
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jagwire is actually rather cheap. 19 quid for brake and gear cable set with all the fitting bits...

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Cables-Set ... d_752.html
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    To me Nokon solves a problem that never existed
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Jagwire is actually rather cheap. 19 quid for brake and gear cable set with all the fitting bits...

http://www.woollyhatshop.com/Cables-Set ... d_752.html

Twenty quid for cables seems a lot to me, but it's been a few years since I've bought (or sold) any. Still, if that's the cheapest, then get that!... otherwise.. the stuff sold by the length.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    nokon look pimp
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    +1 Jagwire Racer kit is excellent for the money
  • +1 Jagwire Racer kit is excellent for the money

+2
  • +1 Jagwire Racer kit is excellent for the money

+2
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have both - Jagwire is just a regular cable kit with all the problems, especially scuffing paint and doesn''t handle tight corners well.
    It seems to me most negative opinions of Nokon have come from those with no experience of the product.
    Nokon is far better for tight cable runs, doesn't scuff the paint because each section 'rolls' as it turns and finally is pretty weather maintenance-free - I have cables that remain untouched for 5 years if you run them fully sheathed - it is also lighter than regular cables. Downside is that it's fiddly to fit - but once every few years isn't such a big deal unless you're a mechanical numbtie. If you've doe everything else on the bike, it's a nice finishing touch, but it'll look overkill on a bike running 105.
    There's also Alligator i-links which are similar to Nokon in thay they are sectional but inferior as they are nothing like as robust - I have a set on a cross bike that I keep needing to repair because the alloy splits
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • +1 for Nokon Monty Dog is correct. I have a Nokon gear cable set on my TT bike. It was expensive but I had some tight bends to get the cables in through the frame near the headset. Standard cables would have been problematic and inefficient, If you have straight forward cable runs it may be a bit of overkill though.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Have to agree with the Nokon comments, it's perfect for running cables around tight bends, i.e. on front cantilevers brakes for my cross bike.