Madone 5.2 v Roubaix SL3 Expert

jacroz
jacroz Posts: 30
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi

It's down to a shoot off between these bikes for myself. I'd be happy with either and there's nothing in it on price! Interested in your views on the relative merits. Likewise if anyone reached a similar choice, what did you choose and why? My use would be Sportives and training for them.

Thanks

Comments

• porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have a 2010 5.2 and out the 2 you suggest, assuming they are 2011 models...I would take the SL3....it is almost last years S works frame, where as the Madone is now made in Taiwan out of lesser grade carbon than last year...Plus the wheels are better on the Roubaix.

Glad I bought my madone in 2010 :)
  • jacroz
    jacroz Posts: 30
    Thanks. Yes it's the 2011 models I'm comparing.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Isn't the Madone more conventional geometry (i.e. wouldn't a closer comparison be with a Tarmac)?
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    There are a few different options on Madone geometry......I have the H2 compact......my understanding is that the H3 is more equivalent to the Roubaix.

As stated by Nferrar, you may want to check the details of the specific Madone,,,for the most part I have found stores mostly seem to stock the compact, but can order in other models....
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    porker33 wrote:
    I have a 2010 5.2 and out the 2 you suggest, assuming they are 2011 models...I would take the SL3....it is almost last years S works frame, where as the Madone is now made in Taiwan out of lesser grade carbon than last year...Plus the wheels are better on the Roubaix.

Glad I bought my madone in 2010 :)

agree here. The Madone used to be handmade in the USA now it is a stock carbon frame made in the far east. I was going to upgrade mine from a lower model to the hand made ones but they don't seem to exist anymore, even at the 6 series level.

Not sure what spesh do with their frames, are they hand made ?