Shimano groupset combos

mikeneal86
mikeneal86 Posts: 18
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am looking to build up a bike based on Shimano 105 group set. I haven’t done this before though and there are so many options in terms of size and spec im worried I may end up with some incompatible components!

Im looking at a 10 speed double set up, so if anyone could give me any ideas in terms of specific parts I need to make this work that would be great!

Thanks, Mike

Comments

• lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I've just ordered this 105 groupset and paid £314 from Merlin.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... -GROUP.htm
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Lucan wrote:

Link suggests price is £349.95 so any way in which you got the further reduction?
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    nochekmate wrote:
    Lucan wrote:

Link suggests price is £349.95 so any way in which you got the further reduction?

They had a further 10% off which seems to be gone now.
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    That's right. I think the extra 10% offer ended at midnight yesterday.

It could be worth a phone call tomorrow though.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Phone and ask them, I've got money off with merlin before by asking nicely.

Can often work.
  • £350 for a 105 set is a bargain, though it is 5600.

I built up a 5700 groupset for £350 by buying the parts separately from Ribble, though I did compromise with a SRAM Apex chainset as it was much cheaper.

I'd snap up a complete groupset for £350 if you are concerned about compatibility of various components, you'd struggle to beat that kind of price anyway and it would give you piece of mind.
  • PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    I built up a 5700 groupset for £350 by buying the parts separately from Ribble, though I did compromise with a SRAM Apex chainset as it was much cheaper.
    That's not a bad price at all. I would pay quite a bit more for 5700 just to get under the tape cable routing. And while I don't know if the Apex crankset is better or worse than 105, I think it actually looks nicer (which counts too).
  • Thanks for all replys! All good!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    If you're going with Shimano 10 speed, I'd be inclined to stick with that, which means:
    - 5600 (old 105)
    - 5700 (new 105)
    - 6600 (old ultegra)
    - 6700 (new ultegra)
    - 7800 (old dura ace)
    - I think there are some diffs with the shifters on the new dura ace 7900.

You can get away with some of the older 9 speed stuff (not cassette or shifters), but I'd avoid this if possible (even a 9sp chain is not ideal)

You can swap in some SRAM 10 speed stuff (apex?, rival, force, red). Cassettes work fine, I'd guess mechs and some shifters are ok too?

Any 9/10 speed chainset is fine. Any 10sp chain is fine.

Generally avoid mixing with Campag. It can be made work, but prob not worth the effort.

As above, best to buy the whole group if you can.
    exercise.png
  • For bikes, try Campagnolo Veloce... Shimano makes great fishing tackle.

Sorry, just my pro-all-things-Italian prejudice... 105 is good stuff. Ring Shiny Bikes - I always find them cheapest, quickest and best for advice.

What frame are you building up?
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • PeterBL wrote:
    That's not a bad price at all. I would pay quite a bit more for 5700 just to get under the tape cable routing. And while I don't know if the Apex crankset is better or worse than 105, I think it actually looks nicer (which counts too).

I was very pleased with the price.

Agree the Apex chainset looks nicer too and have had no issues with it, though I've just picked up a 5600 double for £20 on flea bay which is going on for these cold salty days.