Bike Build - DIY?

lucan
lucan Posts: 339
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I had a GT Series 3 (Tiagra groupset) and last summer bought a Kuota Kebel frameset. As finances wouldn't permit a new groupset I had my LBS swap everything off the GT onto the new frame.

Now I have ordered a new 105 groupset wih the intention of putting that on the Kuota and rebuilding the GT as it was before.

If I have a go at doing this myself, are there any special tools I will need?

While I'm no mechanic, I want to learn to do all my maintenance myself and rely less on the LBS. Is it worth the effort, or should I stump up and keep my LBS in business.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.
Summer: Kuota Kebel
Winter: GT Series3

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Buy the tools and be assured your bike will be more reliable in the future. Parktool.com is an excellent resource for 'how to' guides. Basic tools you need:

Set of Allen keys - 3,4,5,6,8 - T-handles with ball-ends are best
    Chain tool
    BB tool - depends on model of cranks
    Cable cutters
    Chainwhip and cassette lockring tool
    Greasegun
    Pedal spanner

You will need others, depending on frame/components e.g.
    Torque wrench & bits (for carbon frame and components)
    Cone nut wrenches
    Chainring bolt spanner
    Spoke wrench
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    Whilst collecting a good set of tools isn't cheap and for me has taken a few years. I was fed up with shoddy work from my lbshops.
    I decided tom have a go myself. Prob about 8 years ago.
    You just pick it up as you go really.

A torque wrench is a must.
    One of the most common mistakes people make is that they over tighten things on bikes.

A groupset isn't that hard to fit and I'm sure people will gladly advise on any issues on here.
    Bike shops are becoming very expensive nowadays.

I do all my own work now.
    Apart from wheels which to be fair i don't really have many problems with.
    First thing younshould get is a decent workstand , brilliant for cleaning even if you don't do a lot of maintenance.

Start off doing easy stuff like taking cassette off etc.
    Don't be afraid to ask people on here for help. They seem very friendly.

I'd say a roadie who does lots of miles a year will save a massive amount of money if they tackle the work themselves nowadays.
    Good luck mate
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I've always done my own bike maintenance, started when I was about 10/11, built my own bike by the time I was 13. I'm 23 now so have a decent number of years experience, have built numerous bikes, can build and true wheels strong enough to withstand bmx and trials riders, and have only ever had to take the bike to the lbs for the most difficult of jobs (freewheel removal from trials cranks, you don't want to know...)

There are tutorials all over the internet, youtube is a perfect place to look. Changing a groupset isn't a very difficult job, in fact I don't think there are any difficult jobs when it comes to building a bike, it's so simple in it's very nature that it won't take long to understand it, and you'll wonder why you ever took your bike to the lbs in the first place!