Tube shift to Microshift conversion

drewone
drewone Posts: 5
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Hi, I know this may sound like a 'bike-illiterate' question, (and am already anticipating the answer), but what components must be changed to convert an old tube shift to microshift?
Is it possible to just change the shifters or is it a whole groupset job.

Many thanks,

Drew

Comments

• balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Welcome- but !!! I didn't think there were any bits on a bike I hadn't heard of, but these are both new to me..!?

Unless you mean (shot in the dark)- convert from frame-mounted gear shifters to combined brake levers/gear shifters on the handlebar? If so, that's a little complicated, and may not be cost-effective, but certainly possible.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    balthazar wrote:
    Welcome- but !!! I didn't think there were any bits on a bike I hadn't heard of, but these are both new to me..!?

Unless you mean (shot in the dark)- convert from frame-mounted gear shifters to combined brake levers/gear shifters on the handlebar? If so, that's a little complicated, and may not be cost-effective, but certainly possible.

I can only assume "tube-shift" means gripshift, and microshift are a brand, http://road.cc/content/review/14420-mic ... d-groupset.

With regards to the original question however, no idea.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Microshift is Shimano compatible, so you should just be able to swap down tube levers for Microshift levers if the speed are the same. You'll want down tube cable stops/adjusters too.
    You will also want new cables if the levers don't come with them.

If the speeds are different (eg replacing 8 speed down tube by 9 speed microshift), you will also want a new cassette and chain

If you are running 7 speed, you can add a new rear wheel, or freehub body at least, as 8/9/10 speed cassettes won't fit. If you are running 5 or 6, an 8/9/10 wheel won't fit the frame,
  • Haha, I can see where I have caused some confusion. I meant the frame mounted shifters and the combined brake shifters. As I was expecting, seems like it wouldn't be too cost effective.

Many thanks
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Depends how many gears you've got currently. Shimano have made STI levers for everything between 7 and 10 speed over the years, so assuming you've got at least 7 at the back currently, and the derailleur and cassette are shimano, it's largely a case of swapping the levers and putting cable stops where the shifters used to be.

STI levers aren't cheap, but the older stuff can often be picked up cheap on ebay.
  • It's not actually that difficult. You just need to convert the downtube shifters into cable-stops, you just screw the adapter into the existing mounts and run a cable outer to the STI. My Orbea (see sig) had this done at some point.

Edit: Here you go - http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shim ... rc=froogle