Rust on chain

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited January 2011 in Workshop
I have just come back from my first ride of the year and noticed during my clean down that there is a fair bit of rust on the chain. My bike is new, October 2010, and I have cleaned and lubed the chain after each time I have taken it out (4 times due to illness and weather). Should the chain have rust on it after a short period of time? What would help get rid of it? I was thinking of removing the chain and giving it a complete de-grease and lubing it back up again.

Cheers

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Surface rust is nothing to worry about - it's quite common from winter riding where the spray removes all lube from the chain Suggest you use a more tenacious 'wet' lubricant for winter use and give the chain a wipe down with a rag soaked in WD40/GT85 after each ride.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • What lube have you been using?

Conditions at the moment are pretty harsh on your chain but so long as the whole thing is coated in oil (and wiped down with a rag) you shouldn't get any rust. Personally I find spraying WD40 or GT85 on the chain at the end of a ride, then wipe down with a rag followed by a sparing application of the chain oil of your choice keeps everything rust free, relatively clean and quiet during your ride.
    Dolan Preffisio
    2010 Cube Agree SL
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Tip: don't spray the WD40/GT85 directly onto the chain as it'll dissolve the lube inside the rollers - the muck is generally on the outside hence the reason to wipe it down.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..