cork vs gel bar tape

brabus
brabus Posts: 138
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
Happy New Year!!

I am planning to fit white bar tape to my bike...but there seem to be a number of options:

standard
cork
gel
cork with gel

what is the best for comfort / looks etc?

i was looking at the white PRO adhesive gel bar tape ...any good? or is there better out there for a similar price?

Bike is fitted with Ritchey compnents and SRAM. Going to buy the SRAM white hoods. Do Ritchey or SRAM do a gel? cant find any on the net...only cork or standard.

cheers

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For white bar tape consensus is that there are no options! Fizik Microtex; it seems to be the only white bar tape that can actually be kept white. The rest go dirty grey.

I've just put some on my old Dawes - certainly looks very nice so far. For my modern bikes, I stick to black.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Rolf F wrote:
    For white bar tape consensus is that there are no options! Fizik Microtex; it seems to be the only white bar tape that can actually be kept white.

Agree, just get some bar phat or similar padding for underneath as the Micro tex is lacking in the padding dept. 8)
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Found the specialized and pro white tapes very good and easy to clean. FIzik loses its cushioning very quickly.
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Fizic Microtex (stays clean but thinnish) double wrapped over any old cork - best of both worlds. Trim off the last 1-2 cm or so of the cork back to the bar ends before fitting the Fizic tape. This avoids problems fitting the bar end stops neatly. Result - comfy grip that is easy to keep clean.