16 Year Old wanting a Cotic Soul....

TheBikeBoy
TheBikeBoy Posts: 41
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
I've grown out of my old merlin malt 1 ('05 model i think) and i'm looking to upgrade...

i've decided steel is the way to go, after originally being tempted my a carbon 456, and a cotic soul seems to be the best frame for the riding i do. (mainly surrey hills single track with the occasional trip to the moors and yorkshire dales)

the problem i've got is that i've saved enough money to buy the frame (so money's not really an issue) but in my mind i can see myself riding this frame for years when in reality, in time, i might get bored of it or a better frame might come out or whatever, so a frame that lasts for ages might not be as important. (dunno if that makes sense but i think you know what i mean :P )

the other problem is that although i've got the money do i really need to be spending that much on a bike frame when i could get a cheaper option. my uncle has the pre-CEN adaptation soul and i've ridden it and it was so nice compared to my merlin, plus the orange colour scheme with the wrapped logo is NICE.

anyway, thats what i need help with so if you guys have any past experience of a similar situation, or any advice i'd really appreciate it.

oh and i've already got an ex-display on-one scandal which i plan to transfer all the parts to the new frame and run a 1x9 drivetrain.

also, i'm not a rich kid with money to burn, that £470 is a lot of christmas and birthday money saved up so its important that i don't waste it

Cheers,

Sam

Comments

• cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I would say that as you are only 16 you are still growing. Do not throw down a lump of cash on a bike that you may grow out of in 2 years.

This mistake cost me £850, do not do the same =-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited December 2010
    TheBikeBoy wrote:
    the other problem is that although i've got the money do i really need to be spending that much on a bike frame when i could get a cheaper option.

There is IMO nothing cheaper than a Soul that does what a Soul does as well as the Soul does it. They are absolutely brilliant. I totally agonised over getting mine, whether to get a Prince Albert or a 456 or something cheaper but none of them had the spark, I was basically in love with the Soul as soon as I sat on it, and riding it harder than I had ever ridden my Scandal before the end of the hour long test ride.

But, I am now selling it :lol: for an inferior model no less, because I found another bike that does something different that I want more, now (Mmmbop). Even though it's a less good frame and a less good allrounder- so just being the best wasn't good enough. Still love the Soul but my riding and my demands have changed. Could happen to you too, wouldn't be too surprised if it does- perfectly normal.

Can I afford to spend £420 on a frame then sell it a year and a half on? Not really. Do I regret it? Not at all. Has it given me my money's worth? Oh **** yes.

This isn't the sort of advice I should give a 16 year old, but, if it feels right do it. It wasn't a real feeling if you didn't act on it. And if it turns out to be wrong, well, that's living. You can always sell it.

A 456 is the sensible option.

The only other thing I should say though is, are you sure you're done growing :lol: I wasn't, but lots of folk are
    Uncompromising extremist
  • coxy17
    coxy17 Posts: 401
    cavegiant wrote:
    I would say that as you are only 16 you are still growing. Do not throw down a lump of cash on a bike that you may grow out of in 2 years.

im 16 and just forked out for my meta :D:D:D

if you dont want to spend as much loook at a ragley blue pig or piglet
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    If your completely sold on a Soul but not sure you want to spend that much, look at the BFe, exactly the same geometry, just a bit heavier but it is stronger and it's cheaper
  • ther soul is an Awesome bike, one of the lighter of the Steel frames and superbly made,
    its a bike that Wants to be ridden, there are many alternatives, but most are significantly heavier,
    the Souls Fetch good money second hand as they are an In desire frame as as has already been said, they are a do it all bike, the BFE makes a good option though, depending on your riding style, a 140mm hardtail is a LOT of fun though!!

i'd say do it, when i was looking for a new frame i had a Load of options, the Soul wasnt one, but the lbs convinced me it should be, and i am So glad they did! not looked back in over a year ive had and ridden it, feels like a short travel full susser!

as said, the souls a very much in desire frame, you wont go wrong!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I'd say you need to go out and demo as many frames / bikes as is humanly possible, and try aluminium, steel and carbon. What clicks for one doesn't necessarily click for another in the same way.
  • cavegiant wrote:

as far as growing out is concerned, i'm almost 6'2 and i don't think i'm going to get any bigger, plus, the largest cotic would fit me now so i won't be able to go up a size anyway... but i definitely see where you're coming from

As for the BFe although personally i think the frame is nicer than the soul, it doesn't appeal as much because i don't need 140mm forks and i care about the extra weight.
    I'd say you need to go out and demo as many frames / bikes as is humanly possible, and try aluminium, steel and carbon. What clicks for one doesn't necessarily click for another in the same way.

i know what you mean but i've ridden aluminum all my life and my uncle swears by steel because of its durability and "fixability" which is fair enough. I've been scared away from carbon after reading too many horror stories. I also like the look of steel framed bikes, i think skinning tubes look cool :)

its hard to explain the problem with money, because i can afford it no problem, but do i need to spend that much when i could get a dialledbikes PA or a pipedream or something. On the other hand it would be nice to have a decent bike which i can be proud of, i'm sure i'd get that with a soul[/img]
  • TBB, i know what you mean about the money, its a case youve set your mind on a budget and saved hard for it, when you get there your left with the dilema that you know how hard youve saved and dont want to Blow it all in one go when you could maybe stretch it further! ive been in the same situ a few times!! spare cash isnt very easily come by in our house so takes a lot of saving!!

i'd still say do it though, there is something Very special about a Soul!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • i think i'm gunna go for it to be honest, you only live once :P and i'm tired of constantly buying 2nd best so that i don't go bankrupt :)
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    which is all fine and running off impulse is a good thing a lot of the time but if you cool your jets, take your time, do some more demo'ing, you might find something else you like more. the amount of times I've tried a bike once and thought it was the coolest ride ever then thought differently about it further down the line is surprising and vice versa. Just be totally sure before you blow the money is what I'm saying, i guess.