New member saying hello

shanerut123
shanerut123 Posts: 11
edited January 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Today i decided i was going to get back into riding bikes, when i was at school 14 to 16 i used to go on constant rides on the roads for miles at a time, ussaly spent around 25 hours a week just riding around villages and stuff. As soon as i left school and went college i stopped (dont really no why i just did).

Im now 21 much heaver than i used to be :p, now decided (well been thinking about it for a while) i want to get back into riding, been looking and i want to get into mountain biking, i live in corby and was wondering if there are any clubs or groups which ride around my area? Cycling by my self is ok but in a group will motifate me more.

Im a student at DMU studying computer science been studying computers since i left school. I work at Asda Corby part time and do website programming work in my spare time as well.

I really just want to get out injoy the air and county sides, and i loved bikes when i was younger so why not do it whilst doing somthink i like :).

Also what bikes would people recommend i dont have alot of money, im a student :p. i want somthink which will get me started and i will upgrade it or get another bike as i progress.

Thanks, Shane

Comments

• BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    21 years old ? You're still really young ! Go to the average MTB race and half the field are in their 40's !

I don't live near Corby - I'm sure someone else here will reply with ride suggestions.

If you don't have much money, you could consider a 2nd hand MTB, making sure you get the best frame possible. Then you've got a good investment to build on in future should you need to upgrade parts. That way, you'll also learn about what the latest parts are, and how they're installed etc.. You'll find some amazing bargains on eBay - people aren't getting much money selling 2nd bikes - all the better for buyers !

Good luck with the degree - that's what I should have studied 15 years ago !
  • Hi Shane - welcome back to biking!

Have you asked Asda if they take part in any of the available cycle scheme's to buy a discounted bike? Not sure how this will impact you with being part time but may be worth a shout - maybe Uni can help you out with something?

Whatever you end up with enjoy it and remember it is what you feel comfortable with that matters.

Cheers

Craig
  • What made you make that decision? If it was a mate with a mountain bike, can you borrow it and see how it suits you? It can be a very expensive hobby/sport but a very rewarding one. I am a 47 year old duffer who took it up two years ago and lost four stone. I cannot recommend it highly enough. There is a lot of bike snobbery around but the ONLY important thing is to enjoy riding your bike, whatever it is. There are many reviews/opinions on here and doubtless many to come with 2011 models being tested. a good time to search the web for 2009 and 20010 models as they are often being off loaded at a discount. You will doubtless find a number of options.so don't refrain from seeking further opinion here. HNY!
  • Thank you for all your replies, ive been looking around and still deciding, gona keep an eye on ebay and stuff and see if i can get a bike of someone whos upgrading to a new model :p for cheap.

As for the Asda cycle scheme they do have one but they will pay half the cost and slowly take it from my pay whilst i work, but im going to be leaving there soon as i will be progressing onto a work placement.