Posh new frame needed

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited January 2011 in Road buying advice
I knocked over my Cannondale SupeSix Hi Mod on boxing day and put a hole in the top tube, gutted :(
Was in a bad mood for 3 days until insurers re-opened and confirmed they would cover :D
Will be lucky to get another as all frame onlys in europe are apparently spoken for.
Really don't know what frame to get. I didn't forsee this happening and hence haven't really had my eye on anything in particular.
Budget is £2600 if replaced by insurance companys preferred supplier or about £1900 if I take a cash settlement and go and source one myself.
In no particular order I'm considering Kuota KOM, Giant TCR Advanced SL, 2011 Principia, Scott Addict R1or CR1, Colnago M10, Cinelli Strato or Estrada, Argon18 Gallium Pro, Willier Imperiale, Stork. Still like the Scapin Blake which would leave a few quid for other bits as would a Canyon frame
Only ones I'm ruling out are Trek and Spesh really.
Criteria
I don't want to have to wait ages for the frame.
It'll be kitted out with Sram Force, Spinergy Xaero lite wheels, Thomson post and stem although could change these to suit the right bike.
Like the look of an integrated seatpost but I don't think they're practical so would prefer a normal seatpost.
Used for 2-5 hr weekend blasts and the odd sportive
Must be a looker (although I like the minimalist Canyon and Scott Addicts as well as Colnago) and preferably lightweight.

Any old stock at your LBS's in a 52 or 53 toptube I'd love to hear about particularly if you got some of those bargain Diadora's I pointed out !

What do you recommend ?

Cheers
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Test as many as you can, only then will you be in a better position to choose. FWIW, I would rule out Trek and Spesh myself also.

Personally I would definitely test the Argon 18 and Colnago, the Wilier and the Storck. Gonna be hard to get a ride on the Canyon of course,
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Mmm. nice selection to pick from!
    Out of curiousity...how do you just 'knock over' your bike and put a hole in it?
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    how about a lovely Parlee Z4?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Canyon or Cervelo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited December 2010
    I'd be looking at colnago, time, parlee, crumpton. The colnago cos they are so damn good, time as they are supposed to be so damn good, the others cos they look really nice!
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    take a good look at the Wilier Cento Uno - just bought one - it is so stiff and light
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Anonymous
    take a good look at the Wilier Cento Uno - just bought one - it is so stiff and light

As are most high end frames ;)
  • Or take a look at the 2011 Viner Perfecta - a carbon frame that can be custom built/made to measure for you.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    NapoleonD wrote:

Not all of 'em ...
  • Anonymous
    NapoleonD wrote:

Not all of 'em ...

Hence 'most'.
  • galatzo
    I was faffing with it in the kitchen and I knocked it on to a small stool come set of steps we have. Toptube hit it and out a hole in to it. If it had hit the floor the pedals and bars would have taken the brunt of it and it'd have been ok.
    Sounds fishy but absolutely genuine incident - I'd only had the dale since October !
    Felt very ill when I did it though.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    If you still have the frame, I reckon fiber-lyte could repair it...They had several similarly damaged frames there that they were repairing last time I went. Stick some sora, open pros, mudguards on it - perfect winter bike :wink:
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Also bear in mind the warranty the company offers!

Wilier are a year if i remember right where as Orbea offer a lifetime warranty!!!!!! but then would they accept the warranty 5years down the line? but they must have confidence in their product to offer a lifetime warranty...

Just a thought.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Canyon CF Pro and pocket the change.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    Check the definition of 'lifetime' though. Sometimes the lifetime of carbon isn't listed as that long.
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would suggest something in titanium or Columbus XCR steel given your propensity for clumsiness! :wink:
    With a 52 or 53cm toptube guess you're looking at the bottom-end of the size scale and not all manufacturers know how to build a 'small' bike properly - some come with odd frame angles, long headtubes and the like which make it hard to find a decent position. Also what might be stiff yet compliant for an 80kg rider in 56cm becomes uncompromisingly stiff for a 60kg rider on a 46cm, with a tendency to chatter and skip on anything but a billiard table smooth surface - liveable if just riding along, but an absolute pain if you can't get the power down in a race.
    I suggest you look at a Colnago CX1 - I don't own one, but know from experience that Colnago know how to make bikes that handle properly.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • KOM
  • galatzo
    Changing my mind every hour or so at the moment !
    Been thinking of scaling down slightly and getting an Addict R2 or CR1 pro or Giant TCR Advanced which would all leave plenty for new wheels and some other bits.
    Do like the Kuota KOM (and it's BB30) and the Principia and the Litespeed Archon Ti at Rutland for £1899 !
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT
    And last years Orca's
    Still looking and that's half the fun.
  • Galatzo wrote:

In which case, look at the DeRosa R838 (Wiggle)... almost makes me want to sell my Colnago... not quite, but almost.
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • andyoh
    andyoh Posts: 115
    Also bear in mind the warranty the company offers!

Wilier are a year if i remember right where as Orbea offer a lifetime warranty!!!!!! but then would they accept the warranty 5years down the line? but they must have confidence in their product to offer a lifetime warranty...

Just a thought.

Wilier offer a two year warranty on their frames. I know this as I have just received my Gran Turismo and asked the same question.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Galatzo wrote:

In which case, look at the DeRosa R838 (Wiggle)... almost makes me want to sell my Colnago... not quite, but almost.

or buy a ribble steath frame(same as the de rosa) for half the price
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Galatzo wrote:

or buy a ribble steath frame(same as the de rosa) for half the price

Yeah... but then how much would it cost to get a DeRosa paint job... or am I missing the point? (no need to answer... ironic question) :D

PS. Anybody know if the Dolan Hercules frame is actually the same frame as the 2009 Colnago CLX???
    I'm at that difficult age... somewhere between birth and death.
  • galatzo
    Budgets come down a bit as I want to save some or get some wheels too !
    All the below are different prices but all at a good saving of retail

2010 Gallium Pro
    TCR Advanced
    Principia C40T
    Planet X and pocket loads of cash
    Scapin Blake

Or something else...
  • Check out a Merida Scultura evo on Cilos uno website under road bikes . Its a 52cm and £1300. Looks great to me and a top frame for the money , slightly different.
    PART TIME WASTER
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Are you sure the Scapin Blake isn't the TT version? they have some bizarre names. Pls DON'T get a Phizer - that thing looks like an abortion on wheels.

Wilier's are a dime a dozen thanks to Evans and Cycle Surgury. Get the bike that gives you that "I wanna get out there and ride it" hard on. Plain and simple. We're mostly cash rich and time poor so get the one you'll have a smile on your face with.

Like Nappy Dyno said most expensive racing frames are light and stiff and handle sharply. That said a matt back/orange Orca looks the nuts - there's recently been a banner ad on cyclingnews.com that keeps catching my eye.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • KOM and best place to buy from is Epic cycles nr Kidderminster. If you live near. Can't beat their range and knowledge of staff! You get a hell of alot of kit for around £2k on these.

Dealers via this link
    http://www.dhwagencies.com/regionmap.htm
  • galatzo
    Been to look at these this morning, look the part, whadda you reckon ?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRG ... e-and-fork

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRG ... e-and-fork

Both are a Deda Scuro RS which I believe other brands buy and paint so the £2450 original price is taken with a pinch of salt.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Aye, cheaper from Ribble...