Targets/Goals for 2011

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited January 2011 in Commuting chat
1. Well over 6,000 for year - probably 7,000. Hell, ok 7,000 target it is!
2. 4hr15 for Etape Caledonia
3. 5hr45 for Trossachs Ton
4. Cycle Glasgow to Durness via Oban and Western Isles
5. Large Applecross circuit taking in the Bealach na Ba
6. XC mountain bike more - Kilpatricks, Devil's Staircase, Loch Etive
7. Rest of 7 stanes
8. More cycle touring at weekends

What's yours?
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Stop being as f***ing lazy and get out on the bikes I've spend a lot of money on (well a lot for me).

And finish the Etape Caledonia, preferably whilst the roads are still closed.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Holy Hell those are some targets! Planning on sleeping in the saddle?
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    1. Cycle over 6000 miles.
    2. Cycle LEJOG in 9 days unassisted.
    3. Less falling off...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    suzyb wrote:
    Stop being as f***ing lazy and get out on the bikes I've spend a lot of money on (well a lot for me).

I was worried about not finishing Etape before sweep up bus, but the other just sweep you along...... However, you need to put in the miles before it!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Put on some weight, cycling seems to have given me an excuse to stop with the gym so I've got too skinny. So yeah, lower cardio to gym ratio.

Oh, and the half marathon and triathlon I've signed up to. So will need to do plenty of cardio for that.

Hrm, those two aims don't gel so well...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    suzyb wrote:

I was worried about not finishing Etape before sweep up bus, but the other just sweep you along...... However, you need to put in the miles before it!!
    I know and there's less than 5 months in which to do those miles :(
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    No targets here. I just want to continue riding my bike as much as I have since I was a kid. If possible I'd like to sort out my knee so that I can ride harder more often without discomfort. Other than that, the only real goal is to maintain my fitness througout the year.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    1. Have my first proper time trial season
    2. Go abroad to cycle some decent hills
    3. Get to either the giro or the tour for a few days
    4. Lejog on my own

Can anyone tell that im recently single and will have a lot more time on my hands lol
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    dhope wrote:
    Put on some weight, cycling seems to have given me an excuse to stop with the gym so I've got too skinny. So yeah, lower cardio to gym ratio.

Oh, and the half marathon and triathlon I've signed up to. So will need to do plenty of cardio for that.

you forgot

"join greenwich tritons" :p
    Hat + Beard
  • get the hell out of London (permanently), set up my own business, hopefully work somewhere either commutable by bike or locally and get some miles (no particular target) done on my road bike on my off days.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    To ignore stats except about racing times
    top 20 in the Brompton World Championships
    to reiterate: no stupid mileages for no reason
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Clever Pun wrote:
    To ignore stats except about racing times
    top 20 in the Brompton World Championships
    to reiterate: no stupid mileages for no reason

+1 i missed this off my list

I want to race properly but couldnt this year cos if stupid stats
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    Lejog in 8 days in April (with a work colleague with 6 month's riding experience recovering from knee surgery and his mate who is still 2 stone overweight but claims he can ride all day everyday and will get there in his own time - methinks it's not going to go well!!) :D

Sub 23 for a 10m TT (it's a flat course!)

To hang on for more than 5 minutes in a 3/4 race

To find other people who like 6am starts at the weekend whilst waiting for my usual riding buddy to recover from his smash (it's been 4 months already - at least another 4 to go :( )
    Still breathing.....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    hatbeard wrote:
    dhope wrote:

you forgot

"join greenwich tritons" :p

Good point. Just emailed in my application
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • xcmad
    xcmad Posts: 110
    Been thinking about this. This is what I have for now:

1. Ride to Wales from High Wycombe via Brecon Beacons (July, do it every year)
    2. Consistently finish in top ten in XC Open or Master Races (got 1st top ten this month)
    3. Stop cramping during and after rides
    4. Learn how to adjust my own brakes
    5. Drink 6 pints water per day
    6. Enter Leadville 100 2012
    7. Do more racing
    8. More social rides
    9. Join a bike club so I finally have something to put on race entry forms
    10. Stop watching TV repeats (apart from Alan Partridge)
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    definitely got to have some focus for this year, so far:-

1. join a club
    2. bite the bullet and do some turbo training
    3. cut all sh*te out of my diet aka eat what the wife tells me is good for me
    4. keep track of my miles - probs do SC stats
    5. Do some TTs
    6. interval training on morning commute / hill repeats in the evening
    7. gold standard in all sportives until...
    8. sub 9 hours for the marmotte

july onwards my life is not likely to be my own anymore...

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I'll set targets for 2012.........

Getting my shoulder operated on in March 2011 after getting knocked off back in Dec 2008. May need two ops, so keeping fit and recovering fast are my goals for 2011. :?
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    start off with losing some weight. One thing at a time.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • My 13yo son being diagnosed with cancer in Sept kinda distracted me from my 3000 commuting miles goal - but I'm determined to hit 4000 this year despite the fact that, due to his chemo, I'll only be able to commute 2 weeks in 3.

That's it really - need to get the weight off me that endless days in hospital have added but the commuting will help sort that.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    1. 7,000 miles for the year
    2. More structure to my swim training
    3. Run at least 21km each possible weekend
    4. Start hitting the gym for core & upper body work
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    1: Do 3500 miles or more (and keep track of them).
    2: Eat better (resist the cake'n'chips cravings and stop wasting money at the cafe).
    3: Lose the gut by Summer (so I don't look fat in Summer gear) and get below 14 stone before December (and keep track of it).
    4: Join a club or advocacy network
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • My 13yo son being diagnosed with cancer in Sept kinda distracted me from my 3000 commuting miles goal - but I'm determined to hit 4000 this year despite the fact that, due to his chemo, I'll only be able to commute 2 weeks in 3.

That's it really - need to get the weight off me that endless days in hospital have added but the commuting will help sort that.

Fingers crossed for you all, my son got through his tumour relatively unscathed. It may sound selfish but you all need your 'me' time so the thing doesn't consume you completely. (No pun intended)

Targets: to ride harder & get a bit more structure and training, take up running to get proper fitness back. A new neck would be nice too.
  • My 13yo son being diagnosed with cancer in Sept kinda distracted me from my 3000 commuting miles goal - but I'm determined to hit 4000 this year .

Fingers crossed for you all, my son got through his tumour relatively unscathed. It may sound selfish but you all need your 'me' time so the thing doesn't consume you completely. (No pun intended)

Thank you. And you are absolutely right - the "me" time is the thing that's given way. My race car is my number 1 hobby love and it's still sitting in the pieces it was in Sept. The mental exhaustion is the thing that's surprised me - just juggling everything: my son, work, home. People have been fantastic though - only today he got a Christmas card from McFly organised by Fearne Cotton's dad, Mick - a total star.

The bike is good release too.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Medders wrote:
    definitely got to have some focus for this year, so far:-

1. join a club
    2. bite the bullet and do some turbo training
    3. cut all sh*te out of my diet aka eat what the wife tells me is good for me
    4. keep track of my miles - probs do SC stats
    5. Do some TTs
    6. interval training on morning commute / hill repeats in the evening
    7. gold standard in all sportives until...
    8. sub 9 hours for the marmotte

july onwards my life is not likely to be my own anymore...

The pitter patter of tiny cleats?

The pace you hare along at, I would have thought you'd be looking at sub-8:30 for the Marmotte.

As for the club, there's always Wheelers :wink: , but are Twickenham CC closer? They're a good bunch.

@Meanredspider - what SBIB said - fingers crossed for you all.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • 1 Get the all clear to get back on the road in March from hospital
    2 Put some proper turbo sessions in before then to regain some semblance of fitness
    3 Get work to decide if we are doing a L2P charity ride or not
    4 If answer to 3 = no, then plan and book a week to go over to Brittany to see some of the tour
    5 Join a club
    6 N+1 to get a touring bike
    7 Find some maintenance courses to learn how to do my own basic maintenance
    8 Learn how to ride clipless
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    1. do at least 3,500 commuting miles.
    2. spend less than £250 on the bike/bike bits
    3. do sub 3:30 on the L2B.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Learn to ride clipless
    Dun Run
    Convert frame to full-on bike. Maybe fixed?
    Bike fit for road bike
    Assos gloves and proper winter boots
  • Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    cjcp wrote:
    [

that seems to the case which is v cool - but the relevant dates appear to be uncomfortably close to the marmotte. And makes the purchase of N+1 highly unlikely as apparently we now have to shell out for a more "practical" car.

The pace you hare along at, I would have thought you'd be looking at sub-8:30 for the Marmotte.

Aw shucks. Fanks. sadly not entirely accurate as I need to be impressing bus drivers before I can claim to hare along! :wink:

As for the club, there's always Wheelers :wink: , but are Twickenham CC closer? They're a good bunch.

Yup TCC a bit closer. Went out on a wheelers club run about 18 mnths ago, good guys and was pleased to do 80+ hard miles! But TCC being smaller seems like it may be better for me.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    [

that seems to the case which is v cool - but the relevant dates appear to be uncomfortably close to the marmotte. And makes the purchase of N+1 highly unlikely as apparently we now have to shell out for a more "practical" car.

Congrats!

Look into leasing a car instead of buying one outright. N+1 then remains an option.

Aw shucks. Fanks. sadly not entirely accurate as I need to be impressing bus drivers before I can claim to hare along! :wink:

Indeed. You are learning fast. :wink:

Yup TCC a bit closer. Went out on a wheelers club run about 18 mnths ago, good guys and was pleased to do 80+ hard miles! But TCC being smaller seems like it may be better for me.

Yup, fair enough. Can't go wrong there.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    My 13yo son being diagnosed with cancer in Sept kinda distracted me from my 3000 commuting miles goal - but I'm determined to hit 4000 this year .

Thank you. And you are absolutely right - the "me" time is the thing that's given way. My race car is my number 1 hobby love and it's still sitting in the pieces it was in Sept. The mental exhaustion is the thing that's surprised me - just juggling everything: my son, work, home. People have been fantastic though - only today he got a Christmas card from McFly organised by Fearne Cotton's dad, Mick - a total star.

The bike is good release too.

Ooh, details of the race car please :D And fingers crossed for your son too.