Gran Canaria next week...

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
Off at the weekend to GC and have hired a CAAD10 for 5 days for some riding.

I've been to the island at this time of year many times but never ridden there before so am hoping to do some guided tours with these guys... We normally just sit by the pool for a week and chill out but this time I have a pass to do some cycling :D

http://www.free-motion.net/en/road/tour ... edule.html

The island has some proper mountains in it by the looks of things, which will be a completely new challenge for me, but I'm hoping to enjoy some warm riding for a change and give the winter schedule a boost.

Has anyone ridden there and got any tips? If all goes according to plan it will be sunny and 20-22 degs so summer gear but guessing the fast descents at altitude are likely to be a little cold so a wind jacket would be a good idea?

Cheers
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• mrjinx
    mrjinx Posts: 38
    edited December 2010
    Hi I have used Free Motion a few times very professional bunch make sure you take you peddles! First time I went relied on them for water it the heat of June it wasn’t not enough, you should be ok for Jan. A Swiss guy {Patrick} was our guide he was great took us to lovely village cafés I had a pint of ice cold mango juice on that day it didn’t touch the sides! When I went the other cyclist were all German mixed age group most speak English and all very nice. All the roads are nice and smooth and climbs are long and steady and very good descents some technical and fast. I’m back there for two weeks in June first week 6 days of cycling then some R&R by the pool. You will have a great time as your climbing the highest peak with sweat poring down you face think of us in Blighty . Winter gloves leggings and sniffing. Let us know how you get on when you return.
    its only money
  • bigpikle
    thanks for the info - I opted for a triple to be on the safe side with some of those climbs! Some of the route profiles look a little challenging but I keep telling myself its all downhill over the other side :lol:

I'll let you know how it goes...
  • mrjinx
    mrjinx Posts: 38
    I hired a triple to be on the safe side as well. I’m taking my own bike with a compact double when I go in June
    its only money
  • you won't need a triple unless you do something like valley of the tears; otherwise a compact should be fine. i was in truly utterly miserable shape when i went and used a 12-27. it wasn't easy, but i managed to get up everything but a 20% stretch of the type that i can only get up in mid summer anyway.

i had a gilet and arm warmers but ended up not needing them other than on one descent. you tend to be cycling in direct sunshine as there is so little vegetation.

def make sure you do the pico nieves ride, which goes to the tip top of the island. i believe that free motion does that on saturday.

ray at cycle gran canaria has also posted a few GPS routes on his web site that are worth checking out. he also has a full week long cycling program f you don't want to use free motion or go out on your own.
  • bigpikle
    thanks Bikergirl - I'll check out the GPS tracks. I was a little concerned as Free Motion say they only do the group rides if there's enough people, so I suppose there is a chance I could end up on my own if there is a quiet day? Would be good to have some backup routes to try.