Sealing non-UST Maxxis

DamonC
DamonC Posts: 263
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Anyone got any experience with Maxxis non-tubeless and sealing them on UST rims?

Will they seal? My only experience of sealing non-tubeless tyres was Panaracer and it was a waste of time (and sealant!).

TIA
Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep. Maxxis are one of the 'good' ones, Panaracer are (according to JustRidingAlong) known for not working well with tubeless.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    No problem whatsoever with mine..

Currently running normal ADvantage front and rear on Mavic 819 rims.
    Yes you need sealent and the initial fitting needs some effort, soap and a compressor, but nearly all the guys i cycle with use either Maxxis or Schwalbe tyres like this....

Some say to save weight, but mostly to save on the cost !!
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I have Advantage tyres on Stans rims.

They blow up well with fast pumping of a track pump.

I didn't use anything other than air to get mine seated on the rims, but they were strung up vertically so as not to flat the lower section of the tyre on the floor.

Took a few swills around of the juice to fully seal against the rim once inflated, but worked no problem.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got Advantages on standard (Ritchey) converted rims. WEnt up ok with a bit of soap and a few quick blasts from my crappy tesco track pump!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I'm with holding judgement. I have done exactly this and am not holding out hope. Had a bugger of a job sealing which was done with a compresser eventually and spent a good time shaking to seal.

No ride on them yet (hi roller 2.35 up front, 2.1 ignitor rear both non tubeless) but 2 days later the ignitor is soft at about 10psi from the original 40psi and although the hi roller is much firmer, if I squeeze the side Walls I hear the sealant split and air escape. Not promising for a ride!

Will be taking 2 innertubes on my first ride. Bummer really as these tyres cost me best part of £60 which I was hoping to save a few grams off the tubeless versions. Very worried I have made a big mistake.
  • PXR5
    Just for info..

When fitting the tyres the preferred method here is.....

Put tyre on rim using an inner tube and inflate to around 60 psi, or until it "pops" four times, ie it makes a nasty cracking sound as the bead seats into the rim.....
    Leave for at least 1/2 hour to stretch the tyre..
    Deflate tyre and carefully remove inner tube , trying to release only one side of the tyre from the rim...
    Add sealant, refit valve (ensure o rings are in good nick - these can cause problems)..
    Wipe soap solution around tyre and rim and inflate using compressor to around 50-60 psi again.
    Leave overnight before deflating to desired pressure...
    Don't be suprised if the pressure needs topping up once or twice as it seems to take a few rides to ensure optimum sealing and distribution of liquid etc...

Other than that no trubs so far....
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • PXR5
    Oh, forgot...

After its fitted and inflated spin the wheel around in all directions like a gyroscope for a few minutes to ensure the sealent has had the chance to coat all of the tyre including the side walls...