Brakes for a big lad..

onedaymyfriend
onedaymyfriend Posts: 26
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Evening guys!

I'm currently weighing in at 144kg and would like some powerful brakes to match up to my weight.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for your time,

Darren

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for what bike?
    and what usage?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I've got a 2010 Specilaized Rockhopper SL Comp, just using for comutting and a little XC; but wanna do more XC.

I've currently got Hope Tech V2's on it, but according to Hope becuase I'm not using the brakes for what their meant for (i.e. going down a hill at speed) I will get all sorts of noises coming out of them, from grinds to squeeks... which is annoying as hell.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    edited December 2010
    Edit to match yours, V2s are powerful brakes. They really shouldnt make squeaks and grinds if they are functioning properly. Who was it that told you that?
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am a heavy guy too, so can stress the fact that you want the most powerful brakes that they make irrelevant of the weight of the brakes themselves.

It took an almost intimate meeting with a barb wire fence to convince me of this.

Shimano XT went in the bin, Formula The One went in their place.

The most powerful modern brakes are Formula The One and the Shimano Saint.
    Formula are a bit more controlled, but more fiddly.

Magura Gustav I believe are also an option, but I do not know much about these.

If I were you I would get the Saints, if money is no object, One.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I've currently got Hope Tech V2's on it, but according to Hope becuase I'm not using the brakes for what their meant for (i.e. going down a hill at speed) I will get all sorts of noises coming out of them, from grinds to squeeks... which is annoying as hell.

What the hell are they meant for if not braking whilst travelling down a hill?
  • mattv wrote:
    Edit to match yours, V2s are powerful brakes. They really shouldnt make squeaks and grinds if they are functioning properly. Who was it that told you that?

Hi Matt, see my updated post before yours. I got rid of the Juicy 3's because they almost got me killed.
  • Briggo wrote:

What the hell are they meant for if not braking whilst travelling down a hill?

Basically my rear brake had developed a grinding noise while braking. I got in touch with Hope about it and apparently it's due to with the lack of high speed/hot use.
  • mattv wrote:

The Tech guy at Hope explained that because I'm not using them 'for what they're for' (travelling down a hill at 60mph), basically not getting hot enoiugh my sintered pads and rotors have developed a glaze which is causing the grinding/resonating sound and he surgested trying organic pads, which I did but with the same results. Tbh mate, they don't seem very interested.. they even had a little laugh to themselves because I fitted V2's to a hardtail..
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    V2 are DH brakes so are designed to be run hot, so seems reasonable with sintered pads.

Did they still screech with resin pads?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Try some of the Kevlar pads from Superstar, they are very nice pads indeed
  • cavegiant wrote:
    V2 are DH brakes so are designed to be run hot, so seems reasonable with sintered pads.

Did they still screech with resin pads?

It is there, but not quite as bad. It vibrates right through the frame. I've got a 183mm rotor on the rear, which Specialized said would be ok on my Rockhopper... just thinking about it, could my rear brake mount on the frame be faulty?
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Get the pads out, rough them up with a bit of sandpaper, clean the disc with some disc brake cleaner, then go find a massive hill, and go get them hot with some short sharp braking from high speed, get back up to speed, then brake hard again. Do that till you get to the bottom of the hill. a few goes up and down the hill should see the brake good to go.

They will be noisy when wet. All brakes are noisy when wet, especially hopes.