tyre choice

terryowen
terryowen Posts: 139
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
hi im going to be looking for some new tyres soon,i would like some advice please,i dont want any slicks because because i go on the local bike tracks and they can be wet muddy and slippery so i need something to grip,but i cycle part on the tracks and quite a bit on the road to get there and out the other side,i would like some fast tyres to go on the road,someone recomended maxxis holly rollers anyone know about these,or can recomend others,thanks.terry

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited December 2010
    Unfortunately if you want grip it's going to you slow you down on the road but narrow tyres seem to be quicker on the road. Something like this, Specialized Chunder Pro XC Tyre 26x1.95.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • ii do want grip because the tracks get slippery,but i have to cycle quite a bit on road to get there,so i would like a fast mountain bike tyre,if anyone knows of any.thanks
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Maxxis Ignitors sound good, pretty fast on road, grippy off it and cope with mud not to badly
  • antfly
    terryowen wrote:
    ii do want grip because the tracks get slippery,but i have to cycle quite a bit on road to get there,so i would like a fast mountain bike tyre,if anyone knows of any.thanks

I meant to say if you want grip rather than if you don't want grip {now corrected}.
    The tyre I mentioned above is a quick one. The fastest tyre would probably be a continental race king but they are really for the summer so you have to compromise because a tyre can't really be good in mud and quick on the road.
  • I swear by continental verticlals as a great all rounder. The 2.3 is pretty narrow considering the written dimention, gives great grip, even on wet rock a nd mud, and still cruses well on any road links you may have to make. Cheap as well at 14 quid, and easy to set up tubleless. Ive ridden tyres that cost over twice the price, that dont do as well.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    peter413 wrote:
    Maxxis Ignitors sound good, pretty fast on road, grippy off it and cope with mud not to badly

Good compromise, not great in mud (what is?), but pretty good everywhere else.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    +1 for Ignitors, there was a pair of folding 2.1's in the classifieds a few hours ago for £20

Here
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Something like Verticals sounds like overkill, Explorers may be more sensible.
    Something like Spesh Fast Traks are cheap, relatively light and fast, and have enough grip to keep you out of trouble in the wet, assuming it's nowt particularly technical.
  • thanks for the replies,a few for me to have a look at il look at the reviwes on the internet,cheers.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    You can get away with a much faster tread at the back to speed you up one the road while still keeping something with enough bite at the front to point you in the direction you want to go on mud. I'd (almost) always go properly grippy up front, fast out back over somewhere in between for both.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • thanks for that but its usualy my back wheel that spins when im going up some steep wet climes.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    on one have a deal on schwalbes at the mo.

racing ralph rear and rocket ron/nobby nick front would do the job.
  • thanks have on one got a web site so i can have a look cheers.
  • antfly
    Google is your friend. :wink:
  • thanks just googled it they sound pretty good.
  • richg1979 wrote:
    on one have a deal on schwalbes at the mo.

racing ralph rear and rocket ron/nobby nick front would do the job.

Oh my, thanks for pointing that out. Another £50 gone!
  • baser
    baser Posts: 127
    Depending on how deep your pockets are Conti Moutain King 2.2 Supersonics are on my bike at the moment. Put them on at the end of the summer, havn't taken them off yet.

They made round Bedgebury this weekend at speed, which was good going considering it was either mud or ice all the way round.

Still amaze me these tyres!!!
  • I swear by continental verticlals as a great all rounder. The 2.3 is pretty narrow considering the written dimention, gives great grip, even on wet rock a nd mud, and still cruses well on any road links you may have to make. Cheap as well at 14 quid, and easy to set up tubleless. Ive ridden tyres that cost over twice the price, that dont do as well.

I've recently put a set of verticals on my bike and on the trails the grip in corners is exceptional but once i get on the road it's like pedalling in soup. One of my riding mates swears by mountain kings and the other race kings but both put in the miles on the roads whereas i do very little on the roads
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?