Ladies Kracken prices

busterdan
busterdan Posts: 32
edited January 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hi all... I'm still pondering whether to buy the Carrera Vengeance Ultimate at £319.... it's a good deal by all accounts.

My missus really could do with a new bike too... and she took a liking to the 16" Kracken... despite all the sales speil and how it had been reduced to a fantastic unbeatable price of £379, I'm sure I have seen the Kracken a fair bit cheaper in the past.

Obviously buying two bikes... £700 I wonder if Halford might have some room to move on price especially if the Kracken has been much cheaper in the past and Halfords have inflated the prices for some bikes prior to another "sale".

If anyone has any knowledge of Kracken/Halfords pricing then I'd welcome your advice.

Many thanks

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Halfords pricing is like a drunk with a kebab....

....all over the place and messy as hell

They have no proper set RRP as they are always inflating the price then reducing it a month later to make it look like a bigger saving over the last price they had it at.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    PREVIOUS PRICES

Please note, this product was previously on sale at

£499.99 between 20/09/10 and 30/09/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 10/09/10 and 15/09/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 07/09/10 and 04/10/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 07/09/10 and 10/09/10 inclusive

As listed on the Halfords web site
  • Yeah exactly... they do to be fair have all the prices in store and I asked them to show me the Vengeance pricing yesterday (which they happily did)... in the case of the Vengeance the price now is the cheapest (apparently).... although before xmas and on xmas day they did have a "code" worth a further 10%...

I might pop in to my nearest store and ask them to check out the Kracken prices and see if I can negotiate a deal.
  • busterdan
    busterdan Posts: 32
    edited December 2010
    omegas wrote:
    PREVIOUS PRICES

Please note, this product was previously on sale at

£499.99 between 20/09/10 and 30/09/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 10/09/10 and 15/09/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 07/09/10 and 04/10/10 inclusive
    £499.99 between 07/09/10 and 10/09/10 inclusive

As listed on the Halfords web site

Hmm missed that... I wonder if they conveniently miss out the cheaper prices.... just a quick search of the forum suggest the Kracken pricing has varied considerably ove the past year or two.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Don't forget that in general prices have gone up over the years

Also VAT up by 2.5% from 4th Jan 2011
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Good news... I've found an as yet unused Ladies 18" Kracken for sale privately and got a really good deal... £225... The 18" is on the large side as she is only 5' 3" tall but at this price it's a deal we can't refuse..... She sat on one in Halfords and with the seat right down she found it very comfortable. Just need to arrange postage and hopefully will have it next week..

Interestingly the crossbar on the ladies Kracken is higher than the one on my 20" Vengeance.... (I can see me perhaps riding the Kracken and my missus will be on my bike)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    As has been said above, Halfords is all about price establishment and then "sale" prices. Current model Krakens tend to be about £430 normally now, any less is a deal. The Vengeance is a special offer bike, one time only normally. SO when they run out of stocks, thats often it with that bike. Therefore, it has no real "full price". Or at least this was the deal 6 months ago when I left there.
  • omegas
    busterdan wrote:
    She sat on one in Halfords and with the seat right down she found it very comfortable.

It may be comfortable to sit on with seat all the way down but will she have the correct leg extension when riding? If not it wont be comfortable then.
  • She it seemed OK but without taking the bike out for a long ride it's a difficult one to say really... she tried the 16" instore and she said she felt it was cramped.
  • omegas
    busterdan wrote:
    She it seemed OK but without taking the bike out for a long ride it's a difficult one to say really

If she can straighten her leg with her heel on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke she will be ok.
  • Received my missus Kracken yesterday.... we paid £225 including a set of light, mudguard, bottle cage and bottle, it's a few months old and has only been used a few times... so I think we got a great deal...

Apart from a few minor paint chips on the left side of the frame, the bike is in excellent condition.... the only problem I do have is as a result of the shipping to me... Although the seller did their best to protect the bike in a box with bubble wrap, they forgot to protect the large front sprocket... as a result the large sprocket pushed through the cardboard and with the box being stood up (or dropped)... some of the teeth on the sprocket are bent over :(

I haven't had the time to properly look at it yet and have no idea how much a replacement would be... any suggestions please?
  • trebor127
    trebor127 Posts: 246
    busterdan wrote:
    Received my missus Kracken yesterday.... we paid £225 including a set of light, mudguard, bottle cage and bottle, it's a few months old and has only been used a few times... so I think we got a great deal...

Apart from a few minor paint chips on the left side of the frame, the bike is in excellent condition.... the only problem I do have is as a result of the shipping to me... Although the seller did their best to protect the bike in a box with bubble wrap, they forgot to protect the large front sprocket... as a result the large sprocket pushed through the cardboard and with the box being stood up (or dropped)... some of the teeth on the sprocket are bent over :(

I haven't had the time to properly look at it yet and have no idea how much a replacement would be... any suggestions please?

I'd be onto the courier if the bike was damaged in transit...

Rob
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    omegas wrote:
    busterdan wrote:
    She it seemed OK but without taking the bike out for a long ride it's a difficult one to say really

If she can straighten her leg with her heel on the pedal at the bottom of the stroke she will be ok.

Check her reach to the bars too - if she is stretching it will make it difficult for her to adjust her weight forwards & backwards (which is crucial on trails) and could cause her back & shoulder pain. You might be able to move the saddle forward slightly on its rails if necc, or fit a shorter stem.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Replacement entire truvativ isoflow crank can be had for £45, or new rings can be had for £20 ish
  • Thanks for the feedback... £20 for a sprocket seems quite expensive I suppose... but as we got the bike cheap it's not too much of a problem...

I doubt the courier (ParcelForce) would cough up... I might ring them tomorrow (no had a chance since getting the bike the other day)... I'll take some pictures tomorrow probably. Really the bike could have been better packed in this area.