Difference between 2010 and 2011 Trek Fuel EX5

Highrisedrifter
Highrisedrifter Posts: 21
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

I've tried a 2011 Trek Fuel EX5 now and I really like it, so i'm leaning towards one of those. I tried a few others and they just didn't feel right to me. I'm going to try out a 2010 model tomorrow and i'm not sure about the blue as standard home computer screens rarely do colour justice.

I have found the 2011 Trek Fuel EX5 for £1250 and the 2010 model for just over a grand.

Looking at a comparison of the two I notice that quite a few parts are different between the two models. As a MTB beginner, I don't really know the difference between a Shimano Deore and an SRAM X.5 derailleur or Rockshox Recon Silver TK or Tora SL for instance.

My question is, are the parts on the 2011 really that much of an upgrade and worth the extra £200 or so, or should I get the 2010 model please? I have to admit the colour on the 2011 model appeals more than the 2010 one though!

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not a hell of a lot. I'd save the money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rockshox Tora SL fork is a bit rubbish, I have fitted one to my specialized hardrock and for £120 it isn't too bad but the recons should be a lot better.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    The 2010 blue looks great IMO.

The fork really is the only major difference, I'd go for the cheaper option for the price difference.
  • Thanks chaps

I went down and saw the 2010 model today and I have to say that in the flesh that blue is really nice.

I might have bought it then and there but I really wanted to try it outside first to make sure it feels right, unfortunately it was chucking it down.