Mavic open pro rim pitting

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited December 2010 in Workshop
I recently purchased a new mavic open pro rim for a rear wheel rebuild, today whilst cleaning the bike I noticed one side of the rim (drive side) has dozens of tiny bubble like pits all the way around, as I said its only on one side which seemed odd so I removed the brake pads to check for debris - nothing!

The pads are new at the same time as the wheel build, aligned correctly. The bike is kept very clean and has only done 1300 miles since the new wheel.

Could this be a fault manufactured rim?

Should I be worried that it's going to fail?
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Could be the mfrs fault. Take it back to where you bought it and if no satisfaction contact Mavic.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rims are extruded, so unusual that you should only have fault on one side - have you tried polishing it e.g. Scotchbrite / fine steel wool?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Rims are extruded, so unusual that you should only have fault on one side - have you tried polishing it e.g. Scotchbrite / fine steel wool?

Yes I did that this afternoon, most of the bubbles have gone, i'll keep an eye on it for now. It would be a real pain to send back as I just bought a rim and had the LBS build it.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rim was probably stored with one side facing the sunlight/air. :(
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Probably some localised surface corrosion / discolouration due to salty road spray on bare metal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..