Elite V Arion Rollers

PeterMolloy
PeterMolloy Posts: 121
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Have just bought a set of the above rollers, with a resistance unit. They are great as far as riding them, especially in the current weather conditions, but I am a bit disappointed by the resistance unit. There doesn't seem to be very much difference between the various resistance levels, and I am wondering if my unit is faulty....does anyone have any experience of these units, and is the resistance between levels really noticeable, or noticeable enough to make it obvious that you have changed levels. Mine seem to be at the same level whatever setting the resistance unit is on. Also is there a test that anyone knows of, to check out the effectiveness of the resistance unit. many thanks
PeteM

Comments

• Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I have a set although I normally use it on the standard setting, when my future son-in-law tried them on the max setting he could only manage half the distance and a lot slower.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    I've a set which remain on the higher setting. I then use the gears as normal to change the intensity.

Just a speedo should be enough to help measure whether the resistance unit is working. All you need to do is pedal at the same speed and in the same gear on different settings to determine whether the resistance unit is working.
  • Shaun20
    Shaun20 Posts: 218
    I used to have a set of these. As I remember the resistance is progressive. At slower speeds there is less noticable difference between settings. However if you increase your speed the resistance should be noticable between different settings.
  • Thanks for the responses. I'll definitely try the computer test, although I'll have to use a different bike, because I've a Garmin on my main two road bikes. The other idea of the resistance increasing as the speed increases, is also a worthwhile bit of advice. Many thanks
    PeteM
  • The Elite V Arion rollers are really lacking in resistance. I need them on max resistance all the time, and even then I need 53/11 to put out decent power. I don't know why they went to the trouble of adding the resistance unit but made it incapable of generating a decent amount of resistance. I confirmed with a power meter that there was definitely a difference between the resistance settings. I haven't bothered using the rollers since I got my Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.
  • Just thought that I would add that I have found out a bit more about the resistance on these rollers, but at the same time have another query!!
    First of all, the resistance is exponential, so that as the speed increases, the resistance gets stronger. I wa obviously not driving it hard enough to start with.
    Looking at the Elite documentation, at speeds below 10 mph, there is very little or no, difference between the three settings. However, at 18 mph , the difference is quite large. For example, the 0 (zero) setting requires 150 watts to run at 18 mph, whereas the level 2 setting requires just over 250 watts for the same speed.
    This difference continues above 20 mph, where the zero setting requires 175 watts, and the level 2 setting nearly 300 watts......not sure how fit everyone is, but 300 watts continuous is pretty hard....well it is for me!!
    I've just spent an hour and a half on them, and that certainly gave me a good work out....well better than sitting around looking at the snow melting!
    Finally, the only query I have now, relates to 'zero loading'. Some of the documentation suggests that, in addition to the three resistance settings, there is a 'zero loading' option. Does anyone have any idea what this is, or how to activate it?
    PeteM
  • Shaun20
    Shaun20 Posts: 218
    There are three settings 0,1,2. . I think the wording makes it sound like there are three levels of resistance and zero load. However I am pretty sure the zero load refers to the 0 (no resistance setting).
  • Shaun. Think that you are right re zero loading. Main thing is that I understand how they actually work now, and the various levels of resistance are fine as far as my riding is concerned.
    PeteM
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    The Elite V Arion rollers are really lacking in resistance. I need them on max resistance all the time, and even then I need 53/11 to put out decent power. I don't know why they went to the trouble of adding the resistance unit but made it incapable of generating a decent amount of resistance.

Hmm. Mine give me about 320W of resistance at 90rpm in 53x13 or 53x14. One thing that will make a difference is your tyre pressure. I have mine a bit lower at 80psi, and a Conti turbo tyre. The resistance comes from tyre deformation as well as the fan on the side. Unless I'm doing sprints or trying to do 320W at 60rpm, I find the V-Arion is perfect.
  • Genki. Think that your response sums up my views as well, and confirms what I had worked out re the level of resistance increasing exponentially, especially in level 2. Am guessing, but I would think that a 53x13 at 90 rpm must be quite a bit above 20 mph, and hence it would give at least 320 watts.
    PeteM
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    genki wrote:
    ..... Unless I'm doing sprints or trying to do 320W at 60rpm, I find the V-Arion is perfect.
    +1
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Some nice info.

I find mine perfect, having managed 3 road rides this week since the thaw I am pleased with my fitness levels as I have exclusively used the rollers for 4-5 weeks of 'cycling'

There is a wattage chart on the side of the box the rollers came in, I have thrown mine out. If anyone has that and can scan it, it will clear up the wattage and resistance queries totally.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • genki
    genki Posts: 305
    Flanners1 wrote:

There is a wattage chart on the side of the box the rollers came in, I have thrown mine out. If anyone has that and can scan it, it will clear up the wattage and resistance queries totally.

But it will still depend on your tyre and pressure.
  • I actually got the wattage figures from the diagram on the side of the box, but as I had alreday thrown my box out, I copied them from another box at my LBS!! So I am pretty confident that they are correct....unless of course, Elite aren't telling the truth.
    PeteM