Rusting Rotors

getonyourbike
getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
edited January 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Well, after only a few rides my rotors have started rusting, is there any way to sort this and stop it happenining again. Does anybody else get this?

Pete

Comments

• gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    a quick squirt of WD40? :P

the only discs I've had go rusty were some cheap Zoom ones of an old BSO

better ones are stainless so shouldnt rust, had Hayes, Magura, Suntour, Superstar all rust free
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • This isn't good :? These are avid G2's I think from memory. I'm just a bit cautious of getting WD40 anywhere near brake pads and rotors. I would've thought avid rotors would be decent quality.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I'm almost certain he was joking about the WD40. Either way, do not put wd40 or similar near your brake rotors!
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    If its just surface rust some wire wool should remove it
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • No matter how many times you'll clean them they start to rust again by the looks of it. I thought most disks were made of Stainless steel. I've had mine for over 5 years and it's only the bolts that have rusted.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • I wouldn't expcet that from a big company like avid, it looks like new rotors are in order, so I don't have to worry about them. I'll use these first though and leave them to rust as they'll just keep rusting again no matter what I do.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Rub it off with some fine wet and dry, or just let the pads wear it off again. Doesnt look great, but I cant see it being a problem. Cars have this all the time if left for a couple of weeks without moving.
  • Duki
    Duki Posts: 53
    I'm having a similar problem with my Avid Elixir CR. It's just the rear rotor though and I'm wondering if the rust is a contributary factor in the noise the brakes are making? Having said that the non rusty front brake howls louder than the back when braking.

It's becoming a bit annoying as the bike is only two months old.
  • mattv wrote:
    Rub it off with some fine wet and dry, or just let the pads wear it off again. Doesnt look great, but I cant see it being a problem. Cars have this all the time if left for a couple of weeks without moving.
    its the bit of the rotor which wasn't teh stopping surface which is rusting
  • Duki
    Duki Posts: 53
    Yep same here. On the rotor arms and in the fluting on the edge. I'm considering taking the bike back see if I can get a new rotor fitted under warranty. It shouldn't rust so soon. The rotors on my lads bike are years old and have been well used and abused and they show no sign of rust and they don't squeal.
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Most single piece rotors are made of stainless steel. The rust, if any, will most likely be caused by iron particles left behind in the surface layer of the rotor from the cutting tool that was used to make it.

To remove the rust, just use a cream cleaner and scrub it with something abrasive that does not contain iron. Electrolysis is another method of removing rust.

Btw, laser cut rotors don't seem to suffer from rusting.
  • If the rotors work well then take them off clean them up with some wire wool then mask up the braking area and give them a coat of spray paint or heat paint,it will look better than the rust :)