How to Start a Bike Club ?

WezC
WezC Posts: 5
edited December 2010 in MTB general
So, I have slowly over a year ridden less and less, until it's like once a week now and the very odd weekend.

The reason ? everyone else gave up ! There was like 5 of us out all the time, slowly getting fitter (not thinner, but i'll take just the fitness), enjoying just being out there.

After trawling the web trying to find new riding buddies, all I can find is hardcore super fit people who "wait for noone" and when they do wait complain or take the Pee !!

So what I thought was , How Easy is it to start a new bike club ?

Where do you start ?

Any one tried it before ?

I think there has to be a way of getting all us over 40, born again mtb riders together in Devon. We have some great places to ride around here.

If anyone wants to join me to try and get something going on a regular basis, has any ideas about making a club for adventurous but slow riders, give me a shout or point me in the right direction if you are already running something similar..

I musn't get any fatter in 2011, but I can't talk to myself on the moors any more.

Wez.

Comments

• piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Try it in the rides section as well and good luck.
  • riding alone is the way forward!
  • maybe set up a group on a site like facebook
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I'd say speak to your LBS, look at making your rides a regular thing with a regular start place/time and build from there.

Come and have a look at http://www.bristolmountainbikeclub.co.uk to see what we have going on and hopefully find a few ideas.

Good luck!!

Andy[/url]
  • We started a bike club last February. We've got just under 100 members now.
    We had a bit of head start because we already knew a fair few local riders because we'd spent a year working on our trail and had the facebook group set up for all that time.
    www.mbswindon.co.uk

My advice would be to get some sort of web presence and then get on with organising rides. There's always going to be riders out there looking for people to ride with and go to the pub with.

All the rest is common sense plus effort. Approach local bike shops, local paper, local radio, other clubs, trails, post on forums. Try to spread the word and get the thing moving.