Tubeless woes

pilsburypie
pilsburypie Posts: 891
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Damn tubeless! Have done several before on my old bonty wheels - a bit of a bugger sure, but nothing soap suds, 24 hours with 60psi tubes in then track pumping for my life didn't sort.

Now I'm trying shimano tubeless rims and non ust maxxis tyres and am about to take a big hammer to them! Only thing I feel I have left to try is a compressor. How do you pump Presta valves with a normal compressor (schrader?)

Any other tips before I locate a compressor?

Comments

• I would use a simple min gas pump - inflates to about 30pis in 1 second ish, have you tried this?

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... 2_Inflator
    Remedy 9, Anthem X1
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    can you take the valve cores out? if so take them out as it increases the air flow into the tyre helping you to inflate quicker.

I find once the beads have clicked into place and rough initial seal around the beads is put in place its much easier to inflate the tyre back up. So take the pump off, all the air will escape as there is no valve. Put the core back in and re-inflate, it should hopefully be easier this time.

Failing that. I have a very cheap track pump I got from Tesco. It has a wide barrel allowing a large volume of air to be pumped. Its a totally rubbish pump apart from the high volume of air helps gets tyres seated and thats pretty much all I use it for now.
  • Co2 canister's are the way Defo I use them everytime. I've tried all the other things over the years but the rapidly expanding gases from a canister does the job everytime.

I wouldnt recommend using non ust maxxis Tyres tubeless. I tried some ignitors on my mavic crossmax xl rims and had them blow off the rims!!! The ust tyre has an extended lip on the bead to grip the edge.
    You can't make a donkey a race horse but you do end up with a fast donkey!

Meta 55
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    . How do you pump Presta valves with a normal compressor (schrader?)
    Using a 99p adaptor usually.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • A friend of mine made a great gadget from an old car foot pump hose. He cut the hose off near the pump and pushed a presta valve attachement from a bike pump into the cutoff end. A little jubilee clip or wire twisted tight with pliers is enough to keep it in place. Then you attach it to your bike valve, and the other end to your car tyre. With the volume of air in the car tyre, it inflates your bike tyre really quickly!

Just be sure to check you car tyre pressure again afterwards?
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I've no experience with tubeless, but when i want to use a shrader pump with a presta valve, i use one of these :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    robkillick wrote:
    I wouldnt recommend using non ust maxxis Tyres tubeless. I tried some ignitors on my mavic crossmax xl rims and had them blow off the rims!!! The ust tyre has an extended lip on the bead to grip the edge.

Actually reading around on the web from other users experiences, Maxxis and Schwalbe non-UST tyres both seem to work quite well running tubeless. Im currently using normal Ignitors on a Stans Crest rim. They were easy to inflate and seal and have been running fine for 3 months now.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I've got on fine with non-UST maxxis, the wire ones took a while to seal their beads and the folding ones were all a bit leaky at first but after that they've been fine. That's on Mavic and Stans tubeless rims
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm using standard Advantages with no problems. Racing Ralphs were a nightmare though, constantly leaking. But as others have said, try taking the valve core out. ?Some tubeless kits come with a little tool for this, which is good because it makes it easier to keep air in the tyre:
    -remove core
    -pump up tyre
    -remove pump
    -put your finger over the valve (trapping most of the air)
    -get the core ready in the tool
    -remove your finger and put the valve core in, losing a little bit of air again
    -then finish pumping up your sealed and 75% inflated tyre.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Damn. Don't think the core removes from mine. Looks like tubes for me until I get an adapter.
  • Bought a presta to scrader converter, used the works compressor and hey presto, POP goes the weasel..... eerrrr, I mean bead onto the rim.

Sorted - cheers for the help. :wink:

PS - seems like the tyres will take a bit of sealing their sidewalls with the sealant as they are non UST.....