Cheap Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL 2011 - PlanetX

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Very good price from planet x at the moment for the 2011 mavic cosmics..

http://planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPMACOC ... -sl-wheels

I phoned up to confirm they were actually the 2011 models which they are but these wheels are NOT official UK imported ones from Mavic - my question is ..

If you wanted to buy the mavic mp3 protection for these wheels (2 years unlimited warranty) - would you be able to as these are not official UK ones?

It doesnt help that i cant find any form of contact number for Mavic....

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I bought R-Sys from Merlin and as they were not officially supplied UK I could not have the MP3 warranty.
  • google can be your friend :wink:

MSC UK (+44) 01256 408637 (+33) 01256 465562
    MTB - Claud Butler Olympus XT
    MTB - Cannondale Jekyll 3 2012
    Road - Ribble Sportive Bianco/Ultegra 6800
    TT - Retro 80's Argos steel Beast
  • Decent wheels but you'll still find lighter wheels that are just as aero and pay less, no? I think with Mavic you pay a premium for the brand.
  • 7molles wrote:
    Decent wheels but you'll still find lighter wheels that are just as aero and pay less, no? I think with Mavic you pay a premium for the brand.

That is very true, but:

Will you find a set of wheels that are more robust and in the 10 years of cycling i've never had a problem with any Mavic item or their aftersales.
  • well i want a decent set of aero wheels i can use daily without the worry of hitting a pothole and being hundreds of pounds of out pocket, the mp3 scheme seems brilliant and i dont mind paying the extra for it, plus the cosmics have always had a good rep
  • NW Postie wrote:
    google can be your friend :wink:

MSC UK (+44) 01256 408637 (+33) 01256 465562

Just tried that number and a lady answered and put me through to the correct number/dept which is 01276 404870.

anyway they informed me that only wheels from mavic premiere official resellers can have the mp3 protection added to them, this is done online using the wheel serial number.

Planet x is NOT an official reseller just to clarify.
  • Thats always handy to know.... that just goes to show why they can offer them at such a good price then, tbh i'd prob still get them as Mavic have a good rep when it comes to wheels :wink:
  • I intend to still buy the mavics but will pay the extra and get official UK ones with mp3 and have 2 years of worry-free riding.

thanks for finding the number though mate ^ much appreciated.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Interesting. Was looking at a set of these or the Dura-Ace 7850 50mm which Planet X are knocking out at £800 (Wiggle are at £995.53).

Might there be any similar complications with the Shimano wheels from Planet X (warranty worth jack etc.)?
  • well the mavic mp3 protection is actually an additional cost and is unlimited cover for 2years with no stipulations ... great peice of mind for 66quid for the wheelset.

I'm not sure if shimano offer anything like this kind of service?
  • Ordered a set of Cosmic Carbon SL today, thanks for the heads up on the offer, saved me a good few quid, MP3 sounds good value but to be honest they are still mavics and regardless of the suppplier being unofficial they still have to cover normal warranty issues.

I had thought about purchasing a used set, which would come with zero warranty and no true idea of actual useage, everyone that seems to sell used wheels always say they have only done a few hundred miles, so at this price for a new set with piece of mind they will offer years of good service, its a no brainer.

Great wheels,a little heavy but yet to hear a bad reveiw.

Thanks again

TS