29"against traditional 26"

vipergoat
vipergoat Posts: 10
edited December 2010 in MTB general
hi all

toying with the idea of trying out a 29" front end 26" rear.any feed back is it better .should i go rigid or bouncy. running 26" 130mm bounce just now!!

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    never ran a 26" rear and 29" front but i can tell you that the 29er is soo much faster than the my old 26" bikes(once rolling). if you have the 29" front you want to be running approx 10-20mm less travel up front and a much steeper head angle.
    Be wary as the world of 29ers gets addictive and expensive.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Be wary as the world of 29ers gets addictive and expensive.

tell me about it, since i got my first 29er, rigid ScandaI, have been bitten by the bug, I have ditched the Pace 26er and bought a Niner RIP 9 (not built yet)

You will find a massive difference in the wheel size, one of the bonuses I have found is that the bigger front wheel rolls over obsticles better, obsticles that I know 26" wheels would have come stuck in or caught me out!

Only downside I have had with the bigger front wheel is if you ever hav to ride in rutts, the slightest turm of the bars and the whel catches the rutt edges.

I would say go rigid with some nice On-One rigid carbon forks 8)
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I remember following a mate on a 29er through a very wheeltrappy section and thinking I wished I had big wheels, his bike just rolled straight over it while everyone else was having to work like mad to keep moving. But I bet somewhere out there is the perfect 29er wheel trap and when he finds it, he's not going to be expecting it and he's going to end up halfway up a tree :lol: And all the 26s will just roll through it.

I like them though, the only ones I've ridden haven't been particularily good but they still stood out. I can see a Scandal or similiar in my future...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • VWsurfbum
    My scandal will be blessed with a new set of forks hopefully in the not too distant future because the Dart 3's that are on it are pretty diar. :lol: then hopefully by march i'll finally get my hands on the Garry fisher Rumblefish which suits my needs all round. FS with 120mm travel and a more do everything mindset.
    If i could of got the Rocky Mountain at a english dealer i would of been tempted by that.

Theres too many people ready to put them down before actually riding them, and the artical in MBUK a few months ago described exactly how its been for me, once at the back of your groups pack and now leading the pack :wink:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Singular Hummingbird is designed to take the 69er setup, might be worth checking out as the Hummingbird and Swift frames look really nice/niche. Fancy one myself if I ever go down the rigid route which is likely 8)

http://www.singularcycles.com/hummingbird.html
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    The Singular Hummingbird is designed to take the 69er setup, might be worth checking out as the Hummingbird and Swift frames look really nice/niche. Fancy one myself if I ever go down the rigid route which is likely 8)

http://www.singularcycles.com/hummingbird.html

I'm thinking about a singular swif build for next year, rigid with single speed. Lovely frames.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • My first 29" wheeled experience was on board a Trek 69er, there was so much more capability on the front than the back that the bike felf very unbalanced through the rough stuff, like riding a very long forked hardtail. It opened my eyes to the benefits of big wheels, but that's all it did for me
    I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...
    HiFi Pro Carbon '09

LTS DH '96

The Mighty Dyna-Sore - The 90's?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I tried several 29ers and for some reason even though they should suit me at 6 foot and suit the riidng I do I just couldnt get on with them. My mate had a quick spin on one of the bikes I was testing shot off like a scalded cat came back 20 mins later with a grin from ear to ear went in the shop and ordered a frame kit on the spot.

Oh well be a dull old world if everyone liked the same bikes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • VWsurfbum
    Very true
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty