Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Fitting disc ready hubs

OrangeFatLadOrangeFatLad Posts: 62
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,
I'd like to fit an old set of hydraulic brakes to my sons bike (24" Spec Hotrock) however it does have disc ready hubs. Whats the easiest/cheapest way to do it? New Wheels? Swap out the hubs and re-lace (not done that before!).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Hi there,
    I'd like to fit an old set of hydraulic brakes to my sons bike (24" Spec Hotrock) however it does have disc ready hubs. Whats the easiest/cheapest way to do it? New Wheels? Swap out the hubs and re-lace (not done that before!).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Simon

what is the problem?

or does it NOT have suitable hubs. is the frame and fork disc ready?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cavegiantcavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am guessing you mean't that it does not have disk ready hubs?

like Nick says you need disk ready fork and frame as well.

If just the wheels, it is probably cheaper to get disk hubs (CRC is good for cheap parts).
    Building wheels is easy, just watch a few youtube videos (you do not need a stand, I have one but still build wheels on my bike). If you are cunning on hub choice you can reuse spokes (just get a similar size hub).

If you do not feel confident building wheels (only you know if you are a technical person or a hamfisted muppet; I am a hamfisted muppet and still build them fine) then pre-built wheels is the more expensive but easier option.

If the fork is needed, something good that will last from bike to bike might be in order RS tora or Manitou drake.

If you need the frame, you can get an adaptor, but IMO more grief than they are worth.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Thanks guys, missing out the most important word (NOT!) didn't help. I must admit I completely forgot that I would need the frame fixing point on the rear.

New frame and wheels sounds like a new bike, may be I'm missing the elephant in the room!

Thanks again.

Simon
  • cavegiantcavegiant Posts: 1,546
    If the fork is disk compatible you can throw a disk brake on the front,
    1 is a LOT better than none
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I would wait until he's on a 26" wheels, then you can choose a frame with disc mounts. You're going to need a new front wheel (minimum) and it doesn't sound worth it. Also the levers wouldn't match if you just do the front.

Perhaps the V brakes could be upgraded/adjusted to give him better braking in the short term? Even cheap ones can be impressive with half decent pads, levers and new cables.