Is my shifter ready for the bin?

flet©h
flet©h Posts: 88
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a set of fairly old Deore 9spd shiffters on my bike. They are over 10yrs old but have only seen fairly limited use so not that worn. I've fitted them to a new build, the gears indexed fine and shifting was snappy when on the workstand imediately prior to the issue.

However when I took the bike out for the first time yesterday the right hand shifter would not pull cable reliably when shifting up the cassette. I could push the thumb lever all the way through the travel and nothing would happen but the current gear would hold and the cable didn't loose tension.

Any ideas? Is the shifter only good for the bin? Could it have been something to do with the cold (about -5).

(Only for interest as I immediately took the opportunity as an excuse to upgrade to SLXs with removable windows so I could run the shifters the other side of my brake levers :D )

Comments

• neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    prob the cold, warm thoroughly and squirt a generous amount of lube INSIDE the shifter body.
    FCN 12
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds like gunk in the ratchet to me. Remove the cable and spray liberally with GT85, run through the gears up and down over and over until the ratchet engages properly again.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    benpinnick wrote:
    Sounds like gunk in the ratchet to me. Remove the cable and spray liberally with GT85, run through the gears up and down over and over until the ratchet engages properly again.

+1 to this, but they might still go in the bin. Mine got like this and I took them apart (as far as you can anyway) and cleaned them up and sprayed them, but while they did get better they've never been quite right since and when I'm riding enough again to make it worth it they'll be replaced.