Can I upgrade my 105 5600 shifters to the new 5700?

JD_76
JD_76 Posts: 236
edited January 2011 in Workshop
Im liking the look of the new 5700 105 shifters as they hide the gear cables, the question is will they work with my current 105 5600 setup?

Cheers.

Comments

• Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    yer will work with no problems at all
  • Isn't there issues with the front mech? Read somewhere that cable pull was different?
  • JD_76
    Anybody got a definitive answer or could point me to a thread if this has been discussed before.

Cheers.
  • cable pull is ever so slightly different for front mech and brakes, but not noticable, i've seen this set up done before and it works fine
    It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
  • JD_76
    cable pull is ever so slightly different for front mech and brakes, but not noticable, i've seen this set up done before and it works fine

Thanks Chris, my gut feeling would be that it will work one way or another.
  • Yes, from what I have read, but £200 for the shifters alone, or £450 for the full groupset.

I would be tempted to buy the brand new grouppio and sell your exising 5600 bits. Sell exisiting grouppo on ebay for say £150, so £300 for full 5700.
  • JD_76
    Yes, from what I have read, but £200 for the shifters alone, or £450 for the full groupset.

I would be tempted to buy the brand new grouppio and sell your exising 5600 bits. Sell exisiting grouppo on ebay for say £150, so £300 for full 5700.

Good point, I have seen the 5700 shifters for £150 and have also see the old 5600 shifters selling for £80+ so was thinking of buying new and sell old - total cost to me £70 or less.

ill keep my eye on the full set prices though - good shout - thanks.
  • Just seems like a good excuse for a lot of new shiny kit!
  • Isn't there issues with the front mech? Read somewhere that cable pull was different?

I'm running some 5700 shifters on my winter bike with a DA7800 front mech. No issues at all.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    Just installed 5700 front mech and using 7800 STIs. Works OK on the stand. Road test once I've finished taping the bars.
  • Seems a bit of a waste of time and/or money to me. You would be far better saving you're money and up-grading to Ultegra/DA or just sticking with 5600.

I personally can't see what advantage hidden cables have over exposed ones (other than hidden cables are in fashion), and if you've got fully functional 5600 STIs, sidestepping to 5700 is a tad pointless, they do the same job.

That's only my opinion though, I run 5600 STIs on my Alu Trek and they work fine, I have no intentions of changing them.

GP
    RMWL - Ride More Worry Less
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    When I ordeded my 6700 Ultegra shifters from Madison I was told the front mechs will work but its not Shimano perfect.The other thing which has changed is the brake pull.New calipers are also recomended as the pull rate is slightly different.I cant comment on this as I was using Cantis but the difference from 105 5600 to the 6700 on cantis was very much noticable in terms of power.