MTB saddle choice for the road

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited December 2010 in MTB general
I know this is probably a stupid question but I'm trying to get some clues as to what direction I should go.

I finally got my Cube Reaction Race forks sorted and have been using it, as planned, for my winter ride in to work with Ice Spikers fitted. It's a 30 mile round trip.

Foolishly, I guess, I stuck on a spare Selle Italia road bike saddle I had from a road bike that I put my fantastic Spesh Taupe saddle onto, figuring that it was likely to be better than the standard Cube saddle. My butt tells me that it was a mistake.

Firstly, is there any real difference between MTB saddles and road saddles? The last time I fitted a saddle to an MTB it was the one off my bro's Trek OCLV MTB that he couldn't get on with - that was about 10 years ago.

Secondly, I get the sense that rather than mask the effect of the bumps in the road, the MTB tyres seem to amplify them with the bounce (I have the rear Spiker at 45 psi - top of the recommended pressure range for minimum rolling resistance).

Anybody been down this route that can give me some clues? I can just keep swapping the various saddles I have I guess but, what with shuffling them backwards and forwards to get comfortable in the first place, I could be a few weeks doing that.

Ta
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Why did you change the Cube one?

I like Toupes, but they're a bit fragile. Found the Phenom SL a better bet on the MTB. If you like the Toupe I'd try one. Or a Romin.
  • njee20 wrote:
    Why did you change the Cube one?

I like Toupes, but they're a bit fragile. Found the Phenom SL a better bet on the MTB. If you like the Toupe I'd try one. Or a Romin.

The possibly misguided belief that it looked "cheap and cheerful" and because it didn't have a cut out to protect my gentleman's area from numbness and malfunction.

The Toupe on my road bike I've found to be the nirvana - I'm simply unaware of it. I'll swap it over to give that a try.

But are there any fundamental differences between the saddles for different types of bike? Or are they broadly the same?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spoon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Spoon.

Could you elaborate?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Charge Spoon - simply incredible, look up the reviews and comments.

Got mine for about £15 and I would never use a different saddle again. When I bought mine I actually bought a Specialized saddle at many times the cost thinking I would try them both and see what was best - I never even bothered to fit the specialized.
    cooldad wrote:
    Spoon.

Could you elaborate?
  • Cool - thanks both
  • WTB Rocket Race saddle
    Great value for money and very comfortable on the road and on the trail
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No real differences per se, mtb saddles may have a more padded or rounded nose and corners and be a bit tougher, but many are interchangeable. Like I said, I found the Toupe comfy, but I snapped a couple, and they can snag your shorts when descending. The Phenom, whilst heavier addresses those.

Personal though really!