New lugged steel tourer on Cyclescheme

Kafka\'s Doll
Kafka\'s Doll Posts: 208
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
That's it really. I can go over budget a bit, so don't need to stick to the £1,000 limit. But what I'm after is a lugged steel tourer (or maybe just any lugged steel bike that takes mudguards and a rack). Any ideas? I'm London based.

Thanks for your attention to another one of those threads.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bob Jackson steel frames start at £400 - they'll do you a nice tourer and will let you go over the limit (not all shops will). Handbuilt steel lugged frame, made in UK - can't go wrong!

eg http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/produ ... ucts_id=43
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Can't imagine why anyone would particularly want a lugged steel tourer. Check out Dawes and their welded steel frames.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    You're joking, right?
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    Can't imagine why anyone would particularly want a lugged steel tourer.

I find it difficult to believe that you're unable to think of a reason (whether you agree with it or not). Are you really so unimaginative or is that just bluster?!

Either way, lugged steel frames are still popular because it's a time proven way of building a bike frame, with established techniques and components; because it's practical to replace a damaged tube; because many like their appearance. There's 3!
  • rolf_f
    balthazar wrote:
    Can't imagine why anyone would particularly want a lugged steel tourer.

I find it difficult to believe that you're unable to think of a reason (whether you agree with it or not). Are you really so unimaginative or is that just bluster?!

Either way, lugged steel frames are still popular because it's a time proven way of building a bike frame, with established techniques and components; because it's practical to replace a damaged tube; because many like their appearance. There's 3!

Plus one to all this! Personally, I love my lugged steel frame bikes and my lugged carbon framed bike.
  • Can't imagine why anyone would particularly want a lugged steel tourer. Check out Dawes and their welded steel frames.

I like lugged frames and I like steel.

Lugged frames are popular in Carbon Fibre as well, and NOT in the cheap end of the market.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • you may justabout sneak a mercian in under price...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your can get Condor frames through B2W and Halfords
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • balthazar wrote:

Lugged frames have plummeted in popularity, and rightly so.

Automated TIG welding machines in the Far East can make steel frames more cheaply and often with greater accuracy than some geezer in Darlington or wherever with dodgy eyesight and a Heath Robinson frame jig.

Although you can get oversize lugsets, tube sizes still remain limited with lugged construction. TIG welding allows frames to be made from larger diameter/stiffer tubes, and also shaped tubing, eg. megatube for greater stiffness and lateral rigidity.

TIG welding is the most lightweight way of making a steel frame: no lugs needed and no filler material needed, as in the case of fillet brazing.

And TIG welds are strong - they are a fusion of metal, unlike lugs and fillet brazing.

Hey, but if you like the look of lugs and want to give your money to geezer in Darlington or wherever with dody eyesight, you are welcome to your lugged frame. I don't care much for the way my bike looks, I go for performance.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    @Berk: Fine; but I don't see that anybody was requesting a comparison of frame-building techniques- which is better, etc. You're just answering a question nobody asked. You apparently couldn't think of any reasons why anybody might want a lugged frame, so I told you some!
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Not lugged though, are they?

I take the point that there's no performance advantage. I'm afraid it is simply that I prefer the look of a pretty lug.

Thanks for the Bob Jackson tip. I'd seen them but wondered if I needed to go up there to do a fitting. I'd prefer to go see someone in London. Are there any resellers down here?
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Hi Berk - you sure picked a good user name.

My lugged steel frame was made by a dodgy old duffer named Dario Pegoretti, lives somewhere in Italy I understand...
  • rolf_f
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Not lugged though, are they?

I take the point that there's no performance advantage. I'm afraid it is simply that I prefer the look of a pretty lug.

Thanks for the Bob Jackson tip. I'd seen them but wondered if I needed to go up there to do a fitting. I'd prefer to go see someone in London. Are there any resellers down here?

The standard Bob Jackson frames are built to standard geometries. If you are normal in proportion, I think you can just determine the frame size over the phone. If you want a made to measure frame, I'd imagine it would be best to go o the shop. Note though that the price goes up a couple of hundred quid for made to measure and the wait time goes from 6 weeks to about 6 months.

As I'm not conventionally shaped (!), the latter is why I bought a Ribble Gran Fondo for my new commuter rather than a Bob Jackson. The price and wait increase seemed a bit much for a C2W bike.