Skipping chain on cassette

bigmart
bigmart Posts: 87
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I had to replace my chain last weekend following a mech hanger snap that twisted it beyond repair.
I've put the new chain on and its skipping on the cassette when you put the power down.
The cassette has only done around 300 miles since it was replaced.

will the chain bed in or is it another new cassette?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or the mech needs setting up after the hanger change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bigmart wrote:
    I had to replace my chain last weekend following a mech hanger snap that twisted it beyond repair.
    I've put the new chain on and its skipping on the cassette when you put the power down.
    The cassette has only done around 300 miles since it was replaced.

will the chain bed in or is it another new cassette?
    Was the last chain OK? Stretched chain can destroy cassette very fast.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Maybe just maybe it's coming off the front, not the rear. It can be hard to tell as when the chain comes off the front ring it generally does tend to come off the rear too, the "shockwave" derails it. Know people replace cassettes all for nothing, because it was "obvious" :roll: that the chain was coming off the cassette...

If your cassette is steel rather than alloy, probably lasts close to forever, let alone 300mi.

Chain coming off the middle ring when a new chain fitted, very common.
    Giant Reign X1
  • I just had the same with a new sram chain on a new shimano cassette.

After 50 or 60km it settled down.

Give it a few rides before you replace the cassette; you can usually see if its worn out and also you might find it only slips in the gears you use the most, where as the ones you used less the teeth are not as worn.