garmin edge 500 or 705??? best value for money?

clunkychunky
clunkychunky Posts: 178
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
i know both of these devices have been reviewed on here nearly as much as winter tyres, but now with the 705 falling in price so dramatically since the edge 800 came out i ask does the 705 rule over the 500?

looking at the spec surely it makes more sense to get a 705 than a 500?? i mean for a similar price (both are now priced around the £200 mark) the edge 705 has as almost the same features as the 500 but with maps! although it is older technology i guess.

which would you buy a 705 or the edge 500??

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you want a chunky and quite dated device with maps so you can navigate then get the 705.

If you want a small device that'll sit discreetly on your bars/stem for recording rides then get the 500.
    More problems but still living....
  • are you saying size matters?? :lol:

i know the 705 is chunky, but surely the mapping ability is sufficient reward for putting up with the size of it?
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    are you saying size matters?? :lol:

i know the 705 is chunky, but surely the mapping ability is sufficient reward for putting up with the size of it?

Depends I guess. I have FR310XT and have just bought an Edge 500. I use these for recording rides, including racing. A 705 would be a bit silly for racing.

(If I want to navigate I also have a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx that uses the same maps and has the same navigation functions as the 705, but runs on AA batteries so I can use it for very long rides or touring without worrying about recharging the thing. If you're not interested in HR/cadence and don't mind a chunky device then the Etrex HCx is significantly cheaper than either Edge and though its not bike specific there is a handlebar mount for it)
    More problems but still living....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The pros and cons of both is pretty obvious. Can't you make up your own mind?
    I have a 705 and for 95% of the time I'd be better off with a 500 but for the odd 5% it's great!
  • inseine wrote:
    The pros and cons of both is pretty obvious. Can't you make up your own mind?
    I have a 705 and for 95% of the time I'd be better off with a 500 but for the odd 5% it's great!

easy there fella. that was a bit of a tetchy response wasnt it??

was only asking advice and opinion. thought thats what this forum was for?!!
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    inseine wrote:

+1 I was torn between the 500 and the 705 but managed to get a great deal for the 705 in the end. Most of the the time I just use it to record data on the routes I ride regularly but on the occasions I go somewhere new the mapping is great.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    easy there fella. that was a bit of a tetchy response wasnt it??

Sorry, wasn't meant to be taken that way. :oops:
    What I meant is that one is kinda big and complicted but has maps, the other is neater and does everything you really need 'cept for the maps. But you knew all that? I'm happy with the 705 but it is a bit clunky if you race etc.
  • Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    All boils down to how well you know your patch, whether the mapping is really necessary or not. To me, it's not, so i use a 500, and more than happy with it.
  • Er the 500 can be bought for £150 whereas the 705 is about £220 (I'm not going to compare the edge 500 bundle at £200 against a bare bones 705 as if you need HRM and cadence then you'll have to add that to the 705 too)
  • erm, you can buy the 705 package for £230 from amazon.

so an extra £30 for the maps...i think it will be better to have them than not.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    If you do a lot of riding in areas you don't know too well then the 705 will probably be better. If most of your riding is racing/TT (where size matters) or rides around an area you know well then the 500.
  • I went for the 500 thinking I didnt need the mapping, then when using it out of area I wished I had bought a 705, so I did and now I'm selling my 500 inc hr and cadence.

£150 posted

Thanks
  • just out of interest, i know the edge 500 is nice and sleek and ideal for racing, but would the edge 800 be useful for racing or is it too big??
  • 500 from handtec, bargain. unless you require maps.
  • if you're worried about the 800 being too big for racing

wrong02.jpg
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    I've got a 705 and I'm gonna be racing with it. No I don't need the maps, but I can't justify dropping £150ish on a device just for racing.
  • Navigation really is very handy. I've found all sorts of great rides by just turning left where I would have turned right and seeing where the road takes me. I wouldn't dare go far without navigation to get me home. Leading group rides is a hell of a lot easier when you can forget about the route and concentrate on the group. It's great to just hop on a train for a weekend mini-tour without even planning a route. For a few quid and 40 grams extra, I'll take the 705 over the 500 any day.
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    Never needed a 'sat nav' in the car, so, don't see why I'd need one on the bike.
    I have a 500 and am very impressed with it.
    Can understand some people like to use the navigation maps in sportives or in areas thy don't know but I'm quite happy to look up a google map before I go out, use the course arrows or god forbid even ask someone the way if I'm unsure :lol:
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Saw that Farrar is using an 800 on his new Cervelo...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    hugo15 wrote:
    inseine wrote:

+1 I was torn between the 500 and the 705 but managed to get a great deal for the 705 in the end. Most of the the time I just use it to record data on the routes I ride regularly but on the occasions I go somewhere new the mapping is great.

Fully agree here too. Besides, the 500 does more from a training point of view and the 705 really only has mapping as an added benefit and a proper Garmin GPS device would do the job much better. Most people have smart phones these days too that they could link to a external blue tooth for mapping from their phone should they get that lost during a ride.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.