Etape Galibier/Alpe d'Huez accomodation

Baybash
Baybash Posts: 136
edited December 2010 in Tour & expedition
I've got a place on the Etape with a friend but the stipulation for both of us is that we have to take our families. Can anyone recommend a place to stay or even specific accomodation that would be suitable for two families within an hour of Modane or Alpe d'Huez?
exercise.png

Comments

• ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    La Cascade campsite is at the foot of AlpeD'huez, and has chalets if you don't fancy camping.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Don't know if anything will still be available, or your budget, but I've stayed in a Gites de France place in Allemont which is 6 miles from Bourg d'Oisans.
  • Valloire would be good. 1h30 from Alpe d'huez and about 45 minutes from Modane. Your family could watch you ride past too!
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I agree with Craig. I love Valloire. It's so pretty and quite a bustling little place in summer. There's a lovely swimmng pool, with slides (free for under 6s), cable cars, nice places to walk, picnic, lots of cafes, and a free tourist train, to name but a few things. (The only thing I don't like is driving over the Galibier in a big car (probably a female thing...or something guys don't admit to!) I've done it a few times on my own (with two bickering children in the back) and hated it!)

Other places I would consider would be Les Deux Alpes or Alpe d'Huez itself. Both of those have a lot of summer activities (like summer toboggan, quad biking, mtbiking, playgrounds, swimming pool, hiking/walking, horse riding, etc etc). What sort of things are your family looking for? I also like Vaujany but that's quite quiet in comparison (but you can get the cable car up to Alpe d'Huez from there).
  • I took a group round La Marmotte circuit last year but over two days and we stayed here;
    http://www.relais-galibier.com/idx_uk.htm
    The Rapins are a great family - very friendly. The food was good too.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Is The Alpe cyclable in April? Or is the road gonna be covered in snow?
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • durhamwasp wrote:
    Is The Alpe cyclable in April? Or is the road gonna be covered in snow?

It's a massive ski resort at the top so it's kept open (and rideable) all year long - however certain times will be better than others :wink:
    April should be fine.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    cheers for that. Also found a website with pics and videos from April rides and looks perfectly clear. nice one.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • i'd stay down the hill from alpe d'huez as it is so nice to roll down from finish to shower and food and cold beer etc
    i have accommodation for the following week (self-catering chalets i've used with my family last time etape finished there), when the tour is in town, but might have some capacity
    email me karl@horcategorietours.com if you are not sorted yet