Brake upgrade? or new pads? help needed please.

loxster71
loxster71 Posts: 269
edited December 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi all,
Just purchased a specialized allez sport for my "general use/winter bike" and have read various reports on Shimano Sora brakes being particularly poor!
So would you recommend i give changing the pads to a better kind a go before thinking of upgrading the calipers?
If so can you let me know what to swap the pads to please?
They are 1 piece blocks and not cartridge type i believe.
Thanks in advance and apologies if this question as been asked many times before.
Thanks . :D
Giant Trance X3
Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Hi mate.
    Having Campag, I'm not sure about the Shimano brakes but have a look on Wiggle/Ribble etc and you should get an idea.
    Upgrading pads will be cheaper. Koolstop dual compound or Swissstop.
    Swissstop look more expensive but I believe they come in a pack of 4 rather than a pair.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    The pads that come with the Sora brakes are indeed very poor.
    But another issue is that the calipers themselves are not good quality alloy and are consequently not at all strong under force, providing very spongy action when braking downhill.

I would replace the entire brake unit.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Try re-facing the pads before you replace them. I did this to mine and it transformed my brakes.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Koolstops will vastly improve the braking as I found out. My Boardman has unbranded Tektro callipers, which themselves arenot too bad, however, when I fitted the Koolstop black pads, I nearly went over the bars on first use. Just waiting for the salmons to arrive (wet weather blocks) which also come highly recommended.
    Try them first before splashing out on new callipers.
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Sammyw23
    Sammyw23 Posts: 627
    Sorry to go off at slight tangent - I am also looking to upgrade to kool stop or swisstop pads. My winter bike has campag gears but own brand (Bianchi Reparto Corsa) brakes - do I need to get campag pads or does it not matter?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Thanks for the replies people!

Will give the Koolstops a try first and if that's no improvement i will upgrade the calipers(and use the koolstops with them).
    Next problem is...Which calipers? obviously as cheap as possible please.
    Would 105's be better? or do you recommend a different brand?
    Thanks in advance.
    Giant Trance X3
    Boardman Limited Edition Carbon #344
    BMC Streetfire ssx( converted to flat bar Hybrid)
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    Sorry to go off at slight tangent - I am also looking to upgrade to kool stop or swisstop pads. My winter bike has campag gears but own brand (Bianchi Reparto Corsa) brakes - do I need to get campag pads or does it not matter?

Similarly I'm still trying to find out which blocks will fit the Colnago branded brakes on my 2010 Ace Veloce :?
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Buy a set of pads with cartridges to make future changes easier. Swisstop Greens are fantastic but expensive, Koolstop salmons are also good and much cheaper.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols