lumen junkies

will2580
will2580 Posts: 86
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
looking to buy a light and have found the lumen junkies website with what looks ike a good deal on a light.

has anyone used this light

http://www.lumenjunkies.co.uk/index.php ... duct_id=65

and has anyone bought from lumen junkies or know how good the service is?

thanks
commencal meta 5.5.3

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I had an ultrafire light similar to this. Broke after 1 actual use.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    ... but then again I have an Ultrafire 501b XPG and it's a great little torch - so now I have ordered another.

I did not get it from Lumenjunkies, though, so I can't help there.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Its not clear what chip is in the torch shown, its not an XPG, so 290 lumens - is probably the uprated XRE which is closer to 240 lumen.

Ultrafire 501/2b is a cheap unit. Very good torch I have eight of them, but the 12.75 for the 330 Lumen XPG is a better deal.

I noted also that they are out of stock, so you might even get it from BoB quicker.

I assume you also know that you need special batteries?
  • Hi all,

Apologies for bumping an old is thread but I just found this via google.

I just wanted to post up a bit of information in reply to this thread.

We are a UK based company and always aim to give the best service possible obviously you don't need to take my word for that but all orders are sent 1st class and usually dispatched within a few days

Sadly are stock levels are a bit grim at the moment, we are changing to a new supplier for the new year so come 2011 that should be all behind us.

The real reason I wanted to post up though was to reply to benpinnick. Just a quick message to mention that not all 501B's are the same. They are just a standard "P60" host so can take a massive variety of bulbs.

The basics of the shells are pretty much all the same from all suppliers, some have slightly better quality switches than the others but they rarely fail.

The bulbs on the other hand can be complicated, most use cree emitters, R2 is the most common at the moment and we are due to get some R5 ones next month. These are manufactured by cree (its a company not a type of LED). In theory all cree LEDs are born the same,the same spec cree bulb in a £20 torch and a £200 torch should be capable of the same brightness.

The clincher is the bit of electronics located directly behind the bulb - the same bit that does the 5 mode bits and bobs. It has a regulator that limits the current to the LED to stop it blowing up. The main downfalls when buying from an unknown supplier are
    - You might have a poor quality driver in (like yours probably did benpinnick) and go bang, you can usually tell as they have a nice burnt electronics smell to them.
    - You might have a decent quality under rated driver, great for battery life and LED life however you wont be getting the best out of the bulb.
    - You might have an over rated driver - great for brightness, think of it like over clocking PC's you can sometimes push an extra 25% through the LED for each emitter. However the P60 is quite a small torch so doesn't act as the best heat sink, also not many suppliers use a decent amount of thermal paste on the back of the emitter to help distribute the heat. These are a bit of a lottery, depending on how lucky you get with your LED it may last 5mins or 5000 hours.

We alway get drivers that match the LEDs recommended outputs to try avoid problems like this so the number of failures we get are low :) but if you are buying from elsewhere try to get the driver specs and compare it to the data sheet on the LED (available off google).
  • diy
    Well you clearly are using some very special drivers indeed to be able to get 290 Lumen out of an XRE at 1amp ;)

PS your Ts & Cs are not DSR compliant. Contract is formed when you accept payment not when you ship the goods. Or are you a white labeled drop shipper?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    290 is the manufacturer rated max I guess.
  • diy
    Is it?

I've never seen one rated above 250 at 1 AMP
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    But it is probably driven at more than 1amp for the max value. Recommended max is 1A though.
  • diy wrote:
    Well you clearly are using some very special drivers indeed to be able to get 290 Lumen out of an XRE at 1amp ;)

PS your Ts & Cs are not DSR compliant. Contract is formed when you accept payment not when you ship the goods. Or are you a white labeled drop shipper?

Not a drop shipper no, all uk stock. Will look into the DSR to update it. Thanks

The 290 lumens is supplier rated figure we are given so it indeed could be an overrated value at 1.2A or something. I think the new supplier rates them differently though so will be updating the website over Christmas with new figures/specs and some new torches all together.The goal is to also be putting up beam shots of all the torches at 1m or similar at fixed camera settings so people can see the light output and beam pattern and judge themselves want is the best fit for them.
  • diy
    So that the beam shots are useful, I wouild show the lights at 15 - 20m ranges. At 1M nobody can tell the difference in light output between a 200 Lumen and a 900 Lumen light.

The specific problem with your Ts & Cs were two fold from a quick glance.

- You have a paragraph that states, the contract is formed when you ship the items. i.e. creation of an invitation to supply, which you accept when you ship. In contract law, you advertise your product (invitation) at a price (consideration), when you take payment (acceptance) the contract is formed. It is at that point a contract is formed. In addition, under the DSRs you must supply within 30 days of taking payment.

- Furthermore you must provide consumers their cancellation rights up front or in good time. If you don't they have the right to cancel up to 3 months after receiving the unit. You also cannot insist that returns are received before refunds issued. To be fair you are no worse than anyone else on that front. But having terms which contravene the DSRs are like signs saying "the management accept no responsibility.,." which have no legal power.

There is a good guide here.
    http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/busine ... oft913.pdf
  • Ok for anyone who is interested. Ordered from lumen junkies on sunday night, 18650 batteries and dsd charger parts arrived Thursday. Also i got quick replies to email.s Seem like a good company under £15 for 2 rechargeable 18650 protected batteries and charger. charger is the same as you would get from say deal extreme but supplied with a uk adaptor all works fine. and obviously if you have trouble your dealing with someone in the uk.
    hope this info is useful.