My hamstrings are shot :(

andy83
andy83 Posts: 1,558
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Im not sure if its the cold weather or just getting older (im only 27 lol)

but the last few days my hamstrings have felt really tight and no amount of stretching seems to help.

Anyone else getting this or should I just MTFU

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Go have a sports / deep tissue massage.

It might not help but you certainly won't complain about it again.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Sounds like you've pulled it or something (can you tell I'm not medically qualified??). 2 options I suppose, MTFU or a bit of rest and ibuprofen. The latter may be wiser if it has been going on for a while. We all need a bit of rest now and then, even you young 'uns!
  • andy83
    To be honest im seriously considering this. I have had one before and to be honest I actually enjoyed it. May enquire at gym if they do them as I really do need one

I have cycled almost 8000 miles this year, add that to around 10 spin classes over last couple of months and also gym workouts thats a lot of abuse my legs have had.
  • andy83
    rf6 wrote:
    Sounds like you've pulled it or something (can you tell I'm not medically qualified??). 2 options I suppose, MTFU or a bit of rest and ibuprofen. The latter may be wiser if it has been going on for a while. We all need a bit of rest now and then, even you young 'uns!

I havent pulled them as done that before, they are just REALLY tight and feel short if that makes any sense at all
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    We have someone come into the office every week who will do an hour of deep tissue for £40 so I tend to go every couple of months. With the gym, running and spin my hans, calves and ITBs need regular work.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Get a foam roller or a thing called 'the stick' and massage them yourself. Not as good as a sports massage but should help keep you from needing one. Personally I find the stick closest to a massage. I get loads of little pea like knots in my hammys and it keeps them at bay. It looks expensive for what it is but it works very well.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • use the Find a Practitioner on http://www.thesma.org/ to find a Sports Massage therapist close to you. if you were in London I'd say come see me!!! regular massage will certainly help, and you can help the therapist by using a foam roller, but don't just use the roller - the therapist will use techniques that can relieve the tension neurologically as well as affecting the physical length of your soft tissues.
    regards stretching, it won't help if the tissues are adhered/stuck together - this is where massage really helps.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    with cycling if you don't stretch your hammies they will tighten.

how do you stretch? can you touch your toes with straight legs?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    I had longstanding hammy problems, but the problem ended up being tightness in spinal cord, which was then tightening the hammies to protect it.....the hammies were just collateral damage.....
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    My hamstrings are the same, totally shot to pieces from years of playing football and now with refereeing. The sports massages help but on a day to day basis using a deep heat spray and then a stretch helps no end.

Also cycling does help but stretch before you cycle
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:
    My hamstrings are the same, totally shot to pieces from years of playing football and now with refereeing. The sports massages help but on a day to day basis using a deep heat spray and then a stretch helps no end.

I was always of the understanding that you mustn't stretch cold muscles, and that you'll do damage by trying...

I tend to get straight in and stretch in the evenings, and I can happily put both palms flat on the floor with straight legs.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    NGale wrote:

I was always of the understanding that you mustn't stretch cold muscles, and that you'll do damage by trying...

I tend to get straight in and stretch in the evenings, and I can happily put both palms flat on the floor with straight legs.

That's why I use deep heat before stretching to get some warmth into them.

I find when I am refereeing I have colleagues telling me I should run first and then stretch, the problem I find it this is usually where I injur myself because I run on them cold.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Before stretching you should warm up slowly. A light jog is ideal or a slow ride to get your core temp up. Then you should only stretch before exercise if you feel like you have tightness anywhere. Flexibility/ROM exercises should be done beforehand, bounding, strides, running backwards, bouncing on the spot, arm circles, neck rolls etc
    Many people have weakness in the hammys due to weak gkutes. One legged supine bridges are good for seeing if your hammys do all the work and getting the glutes to fire.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • andy83
    use the Find a Practitioner on http://www.thesma.org/ to find a Sports Massage therapist close to you. if you were in London I'd say come see me!!! regular massage will certainly help, and you can help the therapist by using a foam roller, but don't just use the roller - the therapist will use techniques that can relieve the tension neurologically as well as affecting the physical length of your soft tissues.
    regards stretching, it won't help if the tissues are adhered/stuck together - this is where massage really helps.

I think this is whats happened, stretching is doing nothing for them
    with cycling if you don't stretch your hammies they will tighten.

how do you stretch? can you touch your toes with straight legs?

That's whats worrying me. Im usually quite flexible and can easily touch toes with straight legs, however the last couple of days its been a completely different story, like they have shortened by around a few inches :(
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Any change of gear?

Shoes, pedals, saddle height etc?

I did a long run a month ago in different shoes and my hamstrings haven't been the same since. Very painful and tight. I am waiting for the pain to subside (it is slowly) before I do any serious stretching.
    Once recovered I will be doing a lot of stretching as I am really inflxable. I don't think I have been able to touch my toes with straight legs since I was 10 :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Has this coincided with the cold snap?

I'd imagine it's related to over exerting yourself before properly warm. Your flexibility shouldn't drop that quickly... see a sports physio asap.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Damn you OP I took a day off the bike yesterday come the even boy was I suffering, hams pulling, everything felt tight and out of place.

I'm blaming you :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    itboffin wrote:
    Damn you OP I took a day off the bike yesterday come the even boy was I suffering, hams pulling, everything felt tight and out of place.

not your own broken down body then?, blaming that would make more sense
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

My body is a temple :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Is that why you fill it with burnt offerings?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Like this?
    apollo-temple21.jpg
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

9zefbedavg2xebaz.jpg

shirley temple?
    Hat + Beard