Size of bashrings

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited December 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm considering fitting a bashring to my chainset (the cranks are triple, but currently running as a 28 inner and 42 middle 'double').

I've found a Raceface bashring for sale that claims it's designed for chainrings up to 42T.

Does anyone know how much larger this will be than a 42T chainring ?

Obviously it'll be slightly larger otherwise it wouldn't protect the chainring, but I'd like the bashring to also help prevent the chain bouncing off, so it'd need to be at least the equivalent of a 52T outer.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    edited November 2010
    why? it would just cause issues in the small cogs.

I run a 38T with a 38T bash and have no probs.

img0088cq0.th.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My daughters '32T Bashring' (not RF) is about 5mm larger in radius than the chain wrapped around the 32T chainwheel next to it, I would imagine most will be similar, that is enough to help it act a a chainguide I think.

You won't get a bash similar in size to a 52 without getting something like a 48 bash.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    I run a 32T E13 Bashring with a 34T middle ring and it's a good 5mm larger than the ring with the chain on it.
  • My chain on a 38T chainring is the same 'size' as my 36T bash-ring (FSA then E13). I run that on my DH bike with a double roller MRP chain device. The chain and/or chainring may get damaged by impacting rocks but the chain's never coming off the chainring otherwise (5 years use so far).
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    it turns out the Raceface i was looking at is a 40T (i don't think they make a 42T).
    so my question now is will a 40T bashring protect my 42T chainring ? it sounds from the answers above that it is borderline...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Measure it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • saint 36 bash is 3-4mm bigger radially than my 36 saint chainring.