What 120mm forks?

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited December 2010 in MTB buying advice
Need to get some 120mm front forks. Got around £350ish to spend and my front hub can take QR, 15mm and 20mm axles.

Wonder what ones people recommend and why?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That rules out Fox unless you space down a 36 - is it for XC riding, or harder stuff?
  • XC.

Its to slacken off a Merlin Malt a little. I had one with a 100mm fork and did not like the feel of the ride. I have spoken to merlin and they advise me it will be fine with a 120mm fork on and they have in the past sold them with a 120mm fork fitted.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • I did think of some RLT's from merlin as they are really cheap at the moment but with them shimmed down to 120mm travel is it likely to alter the feel of the fork as the negative air chamber will be quite a lot larger?
  • Pudseyp
    I did think of some RLT's from merlin as they are really cheap at the moment but with them shimmed down to 120mm travel is it likely to alter the feel of the fork as the negative air chamber will be quite a lot larger?

You don't need to shim....these are U-Turn
  • That rules out Fox unless you space down a 36 - is it for XC riding, or harder stuff?

Ehh??

Fox F120
  • Pudseyp
    iain1775 wrote:
    That rules out Fox unless you space down a 36 - is it for XC riding, or harder stuff?

Ehh??

Fox F120

With a 15mm thru axel for £350 ??? i'll have some too please !
  • Pudseyp
    Take the above back...these are a bargain if you need post mount

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57358
  • Can get some Reba 2011 RLT TI forks for less than those fox ones so would go for them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sorry, I didn't see the 15mm bit in the OP lol
  • Cannot get the RLT TI i mentioned previously as Merlin only have it in the 80-100mm variety for a reasonable price.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Cannot get the RLT TI i mentioned previously as Merlin only have it in the 80-100mm variety for a reasonable price.

they can be opend up to 120 by taking out a spacer cant they??
  • lawman wrote:
    Cannot get the RLT TI i mentioned previously as Merlin only have it in the 80-100mm variety for a reasonable price.

they can be opend up to 120 by taking out a spacer cant they??

I thought that but Merlin say they cannot :? Looking on the sram from what i can gather RLT TI's should be extendable to 120mm.
  • With a 15mm thru axel for £350 ??? i'll have some too please !

No I completely agree but -

1. The OP said QR, 15mm OR 20mm, he never specifyed they must be 15mm

2. Supersonic suggested Fox 36's - tell me where you can get them for less than £350 (with a noral steerer that I presume the OP needs)? And besides for most people wanting to up travel from 100 to 120mm I would have thought 36's spacered down to 120 would be slightly overkill, even if they are available cheap
  • Its come down to those Fox RL F120's with a 15mm or some Reba Teams 120mm with a 20mm maxle. What would people go for out of those two?
  • Pudseyp
    To be honest there is a good mix of RS lovers and Fox lovers...so you will probably be none the wiser...I love Fox as they have never let me down, do what they say on the tin, however the servicing can be expensive and a pain however I love em.....
  • Fox service intervals are somewhat off putting. Thinking Reba.
  • serviced my fox once in 3 years
    They are fine
    and easy enough to do yourself
    No different to other makes really