Spec me some specs

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
After having snow trying to climb inside my eye sockets for most of the way in this morning I'm going to have to set aside my dislike of glasses and get something to protect my poor little peepers.

Am looking at the discount bin end of the market (ebay safety specs rather than team rapha mega super condor gold leafed hand carved ivory with glass bubbles containing a drop of lance's blood and diamonds for lenses).

Looking for functional, cheap and quick delivery. What do you use and are they any good?

gracias muchachos
Hat + Beard

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Bolle safety glasses. Someone posted a like in 'Look at what I've jsut bought' thread.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    DHB do an OK version with interchangeable lenses. £20 or thereabouts.
  • I use Polaris Slammer (hahaha silly name) glasses - £20-ish, come with 3 sets of interchangeable lenses - excellent for peripheral vision.
  • http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bolle-Contour-ESP ... 53d6da6061

Great glasses, great price! I trialed some at work for use here, and ended up knicking them for my bike! Great low light and night time glasses.

Or...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FOX-RACING-SU ... 45f67be861

Cos I'm a tart!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I've got a pair of Northwave Predator glasses:
    nw-85181013-zoom.jpg
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-predator-sunglasses/

One line review: Comfy to wear, tight fit, good fog resistance, peripheral vision could be better.

Edit: Also have a pair of the clear Bolle glasses everyone seems to be raving on about for riding home in the dark. Very good for the price! (About £6 delivered from eBay, mine came next day)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:
    Bolle safety glasses. Someone posted a like in 'Look at what I've jsut bought' thread.

Yeah, I got them for about £6 delivered on Ebay after a recommendation from Eke. Not worn them yet but they look fine.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    had my bolle safety specs on this morning. yellow lensed jobbies. do the trick and don't steam up too much. plus with a fleecey headband and a buff wrapped around my face, they make me look super stylish... erm.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Gussio wrote:
    DHB do an OK version with interchangeable lenses. £20 or thereabouts.

I had these on this morning, fogged up pretty bad so took them off. Snow in the eyes does sting so put them back on and tried to guess the way.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Get yourself some of these if you can
    http://www.sperian.com/SKU/Eye_Wear/29895.aspx?site=/uk

Great vision but, very important for this time of year, an anti-fog treatment that really is some kind of black magic. They do a non fog ban version as well so make sure you get the right ones. Pretty much everything else I have tried has fogged up.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    dhope wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Yeah, I got them for about £6 delivered on Ebay after a recommendation from Eke. Not worn them yet but they look fine.

I use Bolle Viper. I often forget I'm wearing them (the clear ones). Cheap too.
    A quick search on Fleabay threw this up. That listing has ended, but I'm sure there are more available.
    I think I may have to replace my smoked ones (they were hanging off the handlebars as I was walking, went into the spokes and snapped the lens) and also get some yellow ones.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • HB - if yr after clear ones we might have a spare pair you can take off our hands, think they're a bit big for the other half's head so I'm sure he'd happily sell them to you!! (they weren't expensive in the first place) and he's only worn then twice. let me know
  • hatbeard
    thanks all.

ordered some bolle tracker's off fleabay which have already been posted. will report back on my findings
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard
    HB - if yr after clear ones we might have a spare pair you can take off our hands, think they're a bit big for the other half's head so I'm sure he'd happily sell them to you!! (they weren't expensive in the first place) and he's only worn then twice. let me know

hang on, are you trying to say I have a big head? :lol:

edit: can you tell tim the tritons run is cancelled for this eve.
    Hat + Beard
  • HB - if yr after clear ones we might have a spare pair you can take off our hands, think they're a bit big for the other half's head so I'm sure he'd happily sell them to you!! (they weren't expensive in the first place) and he's only worn then twice. let me know

I can think of a good reason not to buy the same specs as you.
  • HB - cheers - have updated yr fellow triton. he was planning to go then changed his mind so that news will be welcomed!

U-E - ? the glasses aren't mine :lol:
  • HB - cheers - have updated yr fellow triton. he was planning to go then changed his mind so that news will be welcomed!

Ah, so the owner may have two eyes then?
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    Bolle contour, or Bolle contour eps for sunny days - max £8 a pair.
  • hatbeard
    HB - cheers - have updated yr fellow triton. he was planning to go then changed his mind so that news will be welcomed!

Ah thats what you meant... I was struggling with that one :lol:
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:
    HB - cheers - have updated yr fellow triton. he was planning to go then changed his mind so that news will be welcomed!

I knew exactly what U-E meant :lol:
    I have 2 eyes....HB can vouch for that.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard wrote:

I knew exactly what U-E meant :lol:
    I have 2 eyes....HB can vouch for that.

eye... I mean aye!
    Hat + Beard