Hub recommendations

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
I am going to be having some wheels made soon for my bike build. I was planning on getting Hope hubs but am concerned about how noisy the freewheel is. Has anyone got any suggestions for hubs that are as good as Hope but quieter and a similar price?

I will need 15mm front axle and need advice on the best rear axle choice. They'll be on a full suspension 29er paired with Stans Arch or Flows.

Thanks.
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the best rear axle choice.
    that is determined by the frame. what will the frame take?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    Ok, I'm struggling to find out. It will be a Santa Cruz Tallboy if that helps. I haven't got it yet but will be ordering a frame soon and am planning the build.

Thanks
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dan1502 wrote:
    I was planning on getting Hope hubs but am concerned about how noisy the freewheel is.

I felt the same way, wasn't sure about the noise, but you get used to it and I now actually quite like it. It can be very useful to warn others your there, just loud enough to make them turn round and see you.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dan1502 wrote:
    Ok, I'm struggling to find out. It will be a Santa Cruz Tallboy if that helps. I haven't got it yet but will be ordering a frame soon and am planning the build.

Thanks

standard 135mm Qr rear.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dan1502
    Ok, thanks. If I don't find another alternative I will run with hope. On my current bike FSA XC290 wheels which I think have DTM hubs. They're almost silent and that combined with the quietness of a carbon frame appeals but I take your point re safety.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • Shimano hubs are pretty quiet and available in 15mm
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    DT Swiss..they are so much better than my Hope Pro 11's.....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • dan1502
    I'm now thinking DT Swiss or Goldtec.

The DT Swiss 240s are a bit steep so would probably look at the 340s I think but am tempted by Goldtec as I have a friend who knows the guys very well and the backup is excellent which is important.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy