my wife is coming to london this afto....not on a bike!

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
In to St pancras, out to north london, and plan was to go to the winter fair at hyde park tonight.

would you kind london folk give me an eyewitness view of the weather and the state of public transport?

cheers

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Weather in the centre is cold and sleety but roads are clear. Pub Transport running ok. Check this link.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnew ... fault.html
  • only a smattering of snow in Holborn just down the road from St P...not settling on the roads but is on trees and grass in Lincoln's Inn field
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hyde Park area is slushy and damp, probably worse later as all the snow fall is melting as it hits the ground..
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Am next door to King's X, therefore two doors down from St P's - and it's snowing but not settling, pavements wet but not slushy. It's miserable but nothing serious.

Public transport - can't comment, but London folks being the total wimps they are will no doubt start running home to Mummy from about 4pm :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • It's fine, Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park looks rather pretty. Hopefully it'll stay around 1 degree so it doesn't all turn to black slush.
  • probably be worse tomorrow am as the wet snow will likely freeze over night.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Lots of snow coming down atm. Wet and slushy affair.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Victoria has just turned white.....
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    great - sounds like she's gonna be fine.....
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Public transport is sh1te. Not commenting specifically on today, just generally. Guess who was on the train this morning? :( :evil:
  • Yep, my trains (SouthEastern) were rubbish this morning but because of a signal problem and a fatality, rather than snow.

Sitting in an office in central London now - snow still coming down but not settling.

Winter Wonderland is a good approximation of a good European Christmas Market but I did find it a bit overpriced (I guess that's London for you).
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Blandiblub wrote:
    Yep, my trains (SouthEastern) were rubbish this morning but because of a signal problem and a fatality, rather than snow.

Sitting in an office in central London now - snow still coming down but not settling.

Winter Wonderland is a good approximation of a good European Christmas Market but I did find it a bit overpriced (I guess that's London for you).

south eastern is the main reason I took the bike this morning. even without the fatality there's always 'signal' problems the first sign of anything that isn't blue skies and sunshine and they seem to be the first operator to give up on running services when the snow falls.

they made last years winter commute miserable and I only travelled from greenwich to charing cross (4 stops).
    Hat + Beard
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    hatbeard wrote:
    Blandiblub wrote:
    Yep, my trains (SouthEastern) were rubbish this morning but because of a signal problem and a fatality, rather than snow.

south eastern is the main reason I took the bike this morning. even without the fatality there's always 'signal' problems the first sign of anything that isn't blue skies and sunshine and they seem to be the first operator to give up on running services when the snow falls.

they made last years winter commute miserable and I only travelled from greenwich to charing cross (4 stops).

Yep, I'm on South Eastern. Severe service disruption due to staff still in bed methinks.