Record of Crap Bike Tools

Berk Bonebonce
Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
edited December 2010 in Workshop
Tacx 36/40 headset spanners. Easily 1mm too large at the 36 end and rounded off my alloy headset real good.

Comments

• lef
    lef Posts: 728
    icetoolz chain whip, the chain snapped! luckily I didnt plough through the bladed spokes with my fingers!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Halfords chain tool; handle bent like cheese trying to split a 10sp 105 chain, and now the pin is off-centre.
  • Pro cycling chain tool. Broke the second time I used it.

Pedros cable stretcher (fourth hand chain tool). What is the point of that?
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Any that I use. Definitely not operator error I'm sure!
  • Tacx 36/40 headset spanners. Easily 1mm too large at the 36 end and rounded off my alloy headset real good.

Easily 1mm too large, but you used it on alloy anyway?
  • Needs must. Will get some Cyclus jobbies for next time, unless someone tells me their headset spanners are crap as well. But generally very pleased with Cyclus.

And you would think that Campag in their 100 year history would have at some point produced some good quality workshop tools. I mean, combination wrenches suck.
  • The campag tool kit was a work of art. Not sure if it's available any more but was priced around a grand in the 80s. The crank tool is a masterpiece.

Nowadays park tools do the job and are worth the initial expense.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The campag tool kit was a work of art. Not sure if it's available any more but was priced around a grand in the 80s. The crank tool is a masterpiece.

Nowadays park tools do the job and are worth the initial expense.

CompleteToolKit3380.jpg

Worth a fair bit now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-tool-kit ... 3058wt_935
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    lef wrote:
    icetoolz chain whip, the chain snapped! luckily I didnt plough through the bladed spokes with my fingers!

+1
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    NapoleonD wrote:

My goodness. I will have to avoid drinking beer around computers with internet access for a few weeks or I could do some serious damage to the bank balance. That's lovely.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    My goodness. I will have to avoid drinking beer around computers with internet access for a few weeks or I could do some serious damage to the bank balance. That's lovely.

But mostly for 1 inch.

Campag 'consumer' tools ain't up to much. Any combination spanner is not a good one, as in the three 'main' Campag tools.

Anyone know what this Campag tool does? http://robertobicicletas.com/toolkit/DSC01737.JPG Is it an old style screw on freewheel remover?
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I'm sure there are better examples around than that one on Ebay.

The trick is finding one which has been untouched since new, that's what you want to get hold of.

There were two versions which Campagnolo brought out at the time btw, the 'complete' tool kit and also a 'reduced' version as well.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    DesWeller wrote:

But mostly for 1 inch.

Campag 'consumer' tools ain't up to much. Any combination spanner is not a good one, as in the three 'main' Campag tools.

Anyone know what this Campag tool does? http://robertobicicletas.com/toolkit/DSC01737.JPG Is it an old style screw on freewheel remover?
    It's a bottom bracket cup removal tool I reckon. A long bolt with large washer fits through from the other side and into the smaller threaded hole so you can stop the tool from slipping when you apply force. I have something similar in the tool box, not Campag though.
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:

But mostly for 1 inch.

It's a bottom bracket cup removal tool I reckon. A long bolt with large washer fits through from the other side and into the smaller threaded hole so you can stop the tool from slipping when you apply force. I have something similar in the tool box, not Campag though.

It's a freewheel removal tool.
  • It's a freewheel removal tool.

Yep. I had one, and it was rather romantically bought in Rome. Old style screw-on freewheel remover. High grade alloy; very light.
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    This
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=27034 in 8mm for Look pedals.

Helpfully it was only just hard enough to round off the pedal interface while rounding off itself. And to think I chose not to use my, much better as it turned out, B&Q Hex set.

If anyone knows how to remove a very stuck look pedal with a rounded hex I'd be pleased to hear from you as its still in there!!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Grind two flats on the axle with a grinder and then use a spanner.
  • Coach H: I am assuming you know that the pedal on the left hand side is reverse thread, ie. to unscrew the pedal from the crank you have to turn it clockwise.
  • CoachH - you can sometimes salvage rounded hex fittings with Torx bits, it's got me out of sticky situations taking cars to bits in the past. The pedal will probably end up scrap, but you'll salvage the crank
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • paul64
    paul64 Posts: 278
    mclarent wrote:
    lef wrote:

+1
    Mine has been used several times and has been fine but thanks for the warning. I will use it with more concentration if these are known to fail.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    The Pedal wrench that came free with my Focus bike

Trying to remove the pedal on the chainset side one day what the wrench snapped. The result was the full force of my fist ploughing straight into the bike chain ring!

Hospital and a big plaster :(