Stuck in traffic? You are the traffic

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else seen the Tom Tom Billboards?

Stuck in traffic?
You are the traffic

Never felt the desire to be a graffiti artist before, but I do have the unfulfilled urge to buy a can of spray paint and write "Get a bike" underneath it :twisted:

Jersey design anyone? :D
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    snooks wrote:

That'd work, certainly
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    dhope wrote:
    snooks wrote:

That'd work, certainly
    Yeah, I think the cycling community just isn't seen as quite smug enough by the general public.

This needs to be rectified.

:P
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    notsoblue wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    snooks wrote:

That'd work, certainly
    Yeah, I think the cycling community just isn't seen as quite smug enough by the general public.

This needs to be rectified.

:P

We'd probably need fliers to drop through windows to reinforce the point.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • snooks
    Is there anything wrong with being smug? :twisted:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • I like the first idea: ''You are the traffic.'' It seems to say ''You are them.''

But I don't like the idea of putting it on the back of a cyclist's jersey. That seems too ''us and them,'' or '' You're in a traffic jam of your own making, I'm not,'' to me.

It may be true, but smugness is not the best form of persuasion.
  • When I started commuting into London from Kent on my motorcycle over 20 years ago, you would have one or two other m/c's who filtered to the front of the cars. Not a problem; now you face a whole pile of motorcyclists, all behind a bigger pile of cyclists. Probably quicker to walk:-)
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    dhope wrote:
    We'd probably need fliers to drop through windows to reinforce the point.

And hand write it on the backs of post-it notes that we could stick on their windows as we go past :D
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I think most drivers, when stuck in a long queue of traffic, realise themselves are the problem.

But several feelings start creeping into their heads: surprise (at the sheer amount of traffic), then rage (at the other drivers who could not seek alternative forms of transport... duh!), then forgiveness (we are all on the same boat after all), then apathy.

It is apathy that's the worst, because when it becomes a daily routine to be stuck in traffic, you stop thinking of the alternatives.

If the do think of the alternatives, trains are at the top of the list, with buses closely following.

That's because we have created this society where we expect to 'travel' with the same gear we would lounge in.

If they could think out of the box (sometimes literally), they would realise combining cycling with other forms of transport, including the car, might be a better option.

All they have to do is realise that to travel in comfort does not mean to be wearing the suit you are going to wear all day while battling the elements.

When drivers stuck in traffic then see a bicycle, they are enraged "how dare you..."

Only the ones who stop to think realise that it was their own making!

Then the select few open their minds and... hallelujah!
  • snooks
    Did anyone see a bit in the Evening Standard last night about some numpty women who spent 5 hours to get from Brixton to Embankment cos the tube wasn't working?

Sadly it's not the start of a highly amusing joke.

It's a 3.5 mile trip! She could have walked the whole route in an hour, but no, the Must-Take-Public-Transport mentality took over from common sense...unbelieveable :shock:
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs