BreezeBlockers Hand Fairings

SamWise1972
SamWise1972 Posts: 220
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone seen these? Great idea, but all the pictures show them fitted to the flats of drop bars. There's no way I'm riding in cold weather with my hands in those, and the need to pull my hands out and move them to the levers. I don't like riding the flats in traffic anyway. Is it beyond the wit of man to design them to go over brake levers? They seem like they could have been a really good idea. I suppose if you have interruptor levers on the flats they might be ok.

http://www.breezeblockers.com/

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Saw them at the bike show and thought they looked awful, would rather have cold hands. (don't call me vain tho)
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Can I get one for my face?
  • _Brun_ wrote:

I'd settle for just my ears.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • Full face motorcycle helmet FTW.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • I'm thinking seriously about building a permanent snow bike, which might feature these as well as stuoidly knobbly/studded tyres. Sice I've sold my car, I have little option but to cycle in all weathers. Trouble is, given the nature of my travel, it probably needs to be a folder, and I'd be unwilling to forego the handiness of my Brommie. Perhaps one ride on the ice with it will persuade me? If I got my spare Downtube back, that would make a great snow bike.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    maybe for the feet though, trying anything at this point to stop cold feet
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    They are crap.

Saw them & examined them at the Bike Show.

Don't waste your money on crap.
    Riding on 531
  • I also saw them at the bike show, I initially thought it was a bra fitted to the handlebars.

I guess they would be banned in time trialling.

Can't see this 'innovation' going anywhere to be honest.
  • I use something similar, called windproof gloves. Don't waste your cash.
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Brun said
    Can I get one for my nob?
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I too saw them at the bike show and had a laugh at them with a few other people.

They look crap and faddy. Buy good gloves instead and that way you can use them on other bikes or (and this bit is really clever) when you're not on a bike at all!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Gloves. Is there anything they can't do?
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• Some of these comments are a bit harsh just like the weather at the moment!

I actually bought a pair of AeroShields at the Cycle Show. I have to say I have been commuting to work 25 miles a day for years. I have tried every pair of gloves going and non have kept me as warm as the Aeroshields. I was a little concerned about riding with my hands on the tops, but soon got used to it.

I personally think they are a great British Invention and can't believe it has taken so long for them to be made. Equally the foot shield is just as effective underneath an existing overshoe.

Anything to help with this bloody weather!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Jimbo 555 wrote:
    Some of these comments are a bit harsh just like the weather at the moment!

I actually bought a pair of AeroShields at the Cycle Show. I have to say I have been commuting to work 25 miles a day for years. I have tried every pair of gloves going and non have kept me as warm as the Aeroshields. I was a little concerned about riding with my hands on the tops, but soon got used to it.

I personally think they are a great British Invention and can't believe it has taken so long for them to be made. Equally the foot shield is just as effective underneath an existing overshoe.

So which cup size did you go for?
  • notsoblue wrote:
    Jimbo 555 wrote:

And where do you work? :P
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    notsoblue wrote:
    Jimbo 555 wrote:

+1 was thinking exactly the same, first post defending company, hmmmm
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    andy83 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Jimbo 555 wrote:

+1 was thinking exactly the same, first post defending company, hmmmm

++1.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Funny though, as this feedback was also posted to the BreezeBlockers website from a genuine customer! Post below was also from bike radar! All are interesting comments and we value any feedback!

Interestingly there is a professional product review from a Polish magazine that can be accessed through the BreezeBlockers Facebook page. May be have a look!? :D

WWJD
    Posted Mon 11 Oct, 5:49 pm UTC Flag as inappropriate
    How does the song go, 'they all laughed at Wilbur and his brother'?

Well, you all laugh at the appearance of these but come winter I would suggest you'll be seriously considering them. As a northern-based cyclist myself (one with circulation that would make a snake chilly) I know fine well the awful winter temperatures which besmirch my training rides. Moreover, as someone who is looking to get into racing next season I see my winter miles on the road this off-season as absolutely essential if I'm to have any chance of sticking it. Being cold has, for me, a very negative affect. So does 3 pairs of gloves on my handling ability.

I'm happy to say I've purchased a pair of BreezeBlockers to give them a go, and having actually read the website and the research that has clearly gone into the product, hope my purchase will be justified in the coming months. Even a tenner for the cheaper ones is worth a punt for the prospect of toasty hands.

I would hasten to add these are about as dangerous as riding in the winter on the roads of the North East, or being clipped into a bike for that matter.

Anyway, laugh all you want. I'm going to be with Wilbur and his brother - warm hands and all.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Which is all fine and I can see how they would be of benefit. However, I'm not riding on the tops in traffic or with the potential for ice on the roads...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    However, I'm not riding on the tops in traffic or with the potential for ice on the roads...

....with them encapsulated in a fairing device that will hinder me accessing the brakes even more.
  • I would, but only with cross-tops in place.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg

• I can see how they're a good idea, but I think they should only really be marketed for flat-bar bikes in their current design.

They don't look like a viable addition to drop bars at all.
  • I can see how they're a good idea, but I think they should only really be marketed for flat-bar bikes in their current design.

Just keeping you all informed as it is an interesting topic! Our flat bar design will be available form January.

Our updated website (soon to go live) will hopefully answer some of the concerns that you might have about the products too.

We will leave you all to debate to yours hearts content - Best wishes!! :D

Just keeping you all informed as it is an interesting topic! Our flat bar design will be available form January.

Our updated website (soon to go live) will hopefully answer some of the concerns that you might have about the products too.

So... the current design is only for drop bars? But doesn't allow you to ride on the hoods or the drops?

:?

So... the current design is only for drop bars? But doesn't allow you to ride on the hoods or the drops?

:?

People who have used the products for dropped handle bars find that their hands can get too hot when riding on the tops so they alternate between different positions. When your hands are cold you put them behind the shields and when they are hot or you need the brakes/ change gear you bring them out. It takes a little getting used to - but no different to attaching cleats for the first time!

We will be at the London Bike show in January - come along and test them out for yourselves! Don't take our word for it!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    It was difficult to carve a hand-shaped hole out of them after I knicked them off the local building site but I managed it eventually. Not very aerodynamic tho'.

Well, I got fed up of waiting for the inevitable
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/