uh-under pressure

hatbeard
hatbeard Posts: 1,087
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
do do do doodoo doo doo :lol:

Wiggle appear to have just flaked on their late nov re-stock date for the marathon winters and are now saying they've no idea when they'll be in so looks like I'm staying on the specialized borough cx's for now.

the rated psi for them is 50-100 according to their product page

what sort of pressure should I be running them on to be best prepared for crappy winter conditions?

and asides from higher risk of punctures and increased rolling resistance what else should I be aware of when running tyres at a lower pressure?
Hat + Beard

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    My rule of thumb is 1psi per kg of body weight, so I guessing you should be running them at max. :wink:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Butterd2 wrote:
    My rule of thumb is 1psi per kg of body weight, so I guessing you should be running them at max. :wink:

I'm bloody skinny me :lol:

but seriously I'm 88kg. so is it worth me dropping them a little?
    Hat + Beard
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Butterd2 wrote:

:oops:

I'll waddle off over there methinks.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Lancslad wrote:
    Butterd2 wrote:

:oops:

I'll waddle off over there methinks.

Don't worry, I'm still 100+psi......
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I would suggest running at the higher end of the pressure range and then if it feels wrong let some air out. Its easier to let air out than put it in.

You're more vunerable to snake-bites at lower pressures but more rubber on the road should mean more grip.
    Higher pressures = faster ride (less rolling resistance), less likelihood of an unplanned deflation but less rubber on the road may mean less grip.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!