Oof

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Decided to switch from the 23c fixed to the big knobbly MTB this morning (I'd meant to put some skinnies on it yesterday, but it was a bit nippy).

Christ on crutches it's hard work! Can't get used to freewheeling or flat pedals either.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good training for you then?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah - I fitted 32c nobblies to the CX yesterday and I was consistently one gear lower everywhere.

Still once I got used to it, it was fine and I just pootled along.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    Yeah - I fitted 32c nobblies to the CX yesterday and I was consistently one gear lower everywhere.

I still got the stocks on mine deffo flippin hard work compared to 23's. Good training though(I hope).

Not that i'm actually cycling due to a bad chest :evil:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    Yeah - I fitted 32c nobblies to the CX yesterday and I was consistently one gear lower everywhere.

Meh I ride my borough cx 32c's every day, MTFU :P
    Hat + Beard
  • hatbeard wrote:

if you mean the ones that came with the tricross, they're semi-slicks and I used them originally but the grip is very poor and they're also very heavy. I soon swapped to Conti top contacts, but using them in this weather is a recipe for disaster.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    After a week off the bike, I switched to the CX today. Still have the 23mms, but whether it was the headwind or backpack weight, it was chuffin' hard work. Took a bit toadjust to the 46t instead of the 50t.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    hatbeard wrote:

if you mean the ones that came with the tricross, they're semi-slicks and I used them originally but the grip is very poor and they're also very heavy. I soon swapped to Conti top contacts, but using them in this weather is a recipe for disaster.

I'm waiting for wiggle to ship me my marathon winters so I may have to actually skip a day or two if the weather gets bad before they get here :( will be fun riding them in though, knobblies and studs. :shock:

so far they've (the boroughs) held their grip ok though, although they'll probably not make it back on the bike after winter and I'll go for some proper slicks instead.
    Hat + Beard
  • I might be trying a boris bike on way home after walking in from gf's. That compared to 48/13 on a an aluminium frame will take some getting used to...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Switched from 25mm semi-slick to 35mm with studs. One gear lower and a little difference in speed, but I'll probably only really know how much harder it is on Friday evening.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I switched last week from 23mm Conti 4 Seasons on Fixed, to 1.9" knobbled and studded tyres on the MTB.................slooooooooooooow going, but sure footed.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    hatbeard wrote:

Thanks I can now use this to justify buying new tyres. :lol:
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • I've got an £89 Halfrauds dual suspension BSO hanging from the ceiling in my garage, where it's been for several years. Last winter in the snow I rode one of my Downtubes which still had the stock semi-knobblies on it, but that's on loan to a friend now, and everything else has slicks, really; Marathons is about as good as it gets. The MTB has big, wide, motocross bike handlebars on it (giving it the feeling of an 80's Raleigh Bomber) and knobblies, and whilst I can't take it anywhere, it could come to London with me, and would at least get me to the station in relatively good shape to go to other places. Don't fancy my Brompton in the ice and snow, not on Kojaks.
  • not on Kojaks.

Is Telly Savalas giving you a piggy back? :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Yep. The lollypop keeps going straight up my tradesmen's entrance. It's not ideal.