Be Careful Out There

Dog Breath
Dog Breath Posts: 314
edited December 2010 in Commuting chat
My partner Carole is a leisure cyclist and generally goes for a ride on Sundays and calls to see her Dad. This Sunday, rather than do her usual 35 mile tour of the Wirral, she decided to just go straight to her Dad's. Within sight of her destination and going no more than walking pace, her back wheel slid from beneath her and she landed squarely on her hip.

This has resulted in the ball joint of her hip pushing through the socket and breaking her pelvis. She got taken to hospital at about 2.30pm and eventually put on a ward at 9pm. They will keep her on painkillers overnight and will operate in the morning (Monday).

The first op will be to stabalise the leg and apply some traction to move the ball of the hip into place before another op to repair the damage.

I'm now sat here in a quiet house feeling helpless and guilty. I had said to her not to do the usual ride as the minor roads she normally goes on will not have been gritted. 'But the main roads will be OK'. I should have just told her to leave it for this week.

I didn't ride but went for a run instead, I arrived home to half a dozen missed calls and text messages. She had already been in hospital for 2 hours before I knew anything about it. :(

Now there's going to be a long and no doubt painful recovery.

Be careful out there :cry::cry::cry:
Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
Planet X London Road Disc
Planet X RT80 Elite

Comments

• Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    oof. not your fault mate. hope she's ok.
  • Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    ouch. May she have a speedy recovery.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Wow... hope she gets well. :(
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    oh wowsa...thats bad....

wish 'er a speedy recovery...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ouch... nothing you could have done

hope she gets well soon.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Dog Breath wrote:
    My partner Carole is a leisure cyclist and generally goes for a ride on Sundays and calls to see her Dad. This Sunday, rather than do her usual 35 mile tour of the Wirral, she decided to just go straight to her Dad's. Within sight of her destination and going no more than walking pace, her back wheel slid from beneath her and she landed squarely on her hip.

This has resulted in the ball joint of her hip pushing through the socket and breaking her pelvis. She got taken to hospital at about 2.30pm and eventually put on a ward at 9pm. They will keep her on painkillers overnight and will operate in the morning (Monday).

The first op will be to stabalise the leg and apply some traction to move the ball of the hip into place before another op to repair the damage.

I'm now sat here in a quiet house feeling helpless and guilty. I had said to her not to do the usual ride as the minor roads she normally goes on will not have been gritted. 'But the main roads will be OK'. I should have just told her to leave it for this week.

I didn't ride but went for a run instead, I arrived home to half a dozen missed calls and text messages. She had already been in hospital for 2 hours before I knew anything about it. :(

Now there's going to be a long and no doubt painful recovery.

Be careful out there :cry::cry::cry:

Very Sorry to hear about your partner, I wish her a speady and complete recovery!

:shock:
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!